Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    09 Nov '05 20:45
    What are some of the smallest amount of material you could checkmate a lone king with, if you have no king yourself. I know the game can't be played without kings, but let's throw that aside temporarily. R+R can do it, but Q alone clearly can't. Anything else is much more difficult to discover.
  2. Standard member gaurav2711
    walking...
    09 Nov '05 21:13
    Originally posted by ark13
    What are some of the smallest amount of material you could checkmate a lone king with, if you have no king yourself. I know the game can't be played without kings, but let's throw that aside temporarily. R+R can do it, but Q alone clearly can't. Anything else is much more difficult to discover.
    How abt R+N....i think that works...
  3. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    09 Nov '05 21:16
    Originally posted by gaurav2711
    How abt R+N....i think that works...
    I doubt it. Maybe R+N+N
  4. 09 Nov '05 21:46
    What are some of the smallest amount of material you could checkmate a lone king with, if you have no king yourself.
    Do you mean if the opponent plays best or just if there is a theoretical mate position?
  5. Standard member gaurav2711
    walking...
    09 Nov '05 21:52
    I doubt it. Maybe R+N+N
    try R on a7 and N on c6 with k on a8. I think thats mate.
  6. Standard member gaurav2711
    walking...
    09 Nov '05 21:53
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    Do you mean if the opponent plays best or just if there is a theoretical mate position?
    i presume its theoretical....otherwise i think wat i am saying is almost impossible.
  7. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    09 Nov '05 22:09
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant if the other side plays well. I tried it out, and I think you can drive the king to the last rank, but you can't mate him.
  8. Donation Anthem
    The Ferocious Camel
    10 Nov '05 22:40 / 2 edits
    I tried out the R+N+N and its pretty easy. How about B+N+N?

Edit: I tried B+N+N, and if there's a way, I can't find it. I'm trying B+B+N and it seems promising.
  9. 11 Nov '05 17:02
    4 pawns?
  10. Standard member ark13
    Enola Straight
    11 Nov '05 18:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    4 pawns?
    Yup. 3 pawns would work, but one will promote, and the rest would be taken, leaving no way to deliver mate.

But I was more focusing on endgames without pawns.