1. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 14:19
    Assuming the Axiom of Choice:
    Let N_0 denote the size of the Natural numbers ("countably infinite), and let N_1 denote the size of the Real numbers ("uncountably infinite"😉.

By the continuum hypothesis, N_1=2^N_0.

Is n^N_0=N_1 for all n>1 (n a Natural number)?
  2. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 14:59
    Originally posted by Swlabr
    Let N_0 denote the size of the Natural numbers ("countably infinite), and let N_1 denote the size of the Real numbers ("uncountably infinite"😉.

Is n^N_0=N_1 for all n>1 (n a Natural number)?
    I think the answer is yes, based on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_hypothesis#Implications_of_GCH_for_cardinal_exponentiation

Of course, I don't have any formal instruction in set theory so I don't actually know what it means, but it fits the first pattern! 😵
  3. Backside of desert
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 15:54
    I am not aware that anyone has proven that N_2 is the size of the real numbers.

n^N_1=N_2 : n= real | n>1
    number of reals N_R>N_1

these I'm familliar with; if anyone has proven N_2=N_R please give reference.
  4. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 20:30
    Originally posted by preachingforjesus
    I am not aware that anyone has proven that N_2 is the size of the real numbers.

n^N_1=N_2 : n= real | n>1
    number of reals N_R>N_1

these I'm familliar with; if anyone has proven N_2=N_R please give reference.
    With N_1 you mean Aleph One?

Then, yes, n^N_0 = N_1

I used to be able to prove it too (had good fun with Axiomatic Set Theory) , but the knowledge has been collecting dust for some time now :p

The Continuum Hypothosis claims that N_1 would be equivalent to the reals, so if someone proved that N_2 is equivalent to the reals that person would have a proof against CH.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall a proof, proving that CH can't be proven or disproven in Set Theory...
  5. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 21:502 edits
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    I'm not sure, but I seem to recall a proof, proving that CH can't be proven or disproven in Set Theory...
    I think this is a consequence from Godel's incompleteness theorems... But I have to do some research.

Edit: This is what I got after a quick search :"He also showed that the continuum hypothesis cannot be disproved from the accepted axioms of set theory, if those axioms are consistent"

Edit2: Later work by Paul Cohen established that the continuum hypothesis is neither provable nor disprovable from the axioms of Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory with the axiom of choice.
  6. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    20 Mar '08 23:212 edits
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I think this is a consequence from Godel's incompleteness theorems... But I have to do some research.

Edit: This is what I got after a quick search :"He also showed that the continuum hypothesis cannot be disproved from the accepted axioms of set theory, if those axioms are consistent"

Edit2: Later work by Paul Cohen established that the continuum ...[text shortened]... able nor disprovable from the axioms of Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory with the axiom of choice.
    Drat-forgot about that.

How about asking,

We know N_0 < 2^N_0 (as CH asks if there exists and S s.t. N_0 < |S| < 2^N_0). Is n^N_0 > 2^N_0? (For all n>2, natural)

Or another, more general, question: Does there exist a set of cardinality greater than that of the real numbers.
  7. Joined
    13 Dec '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '08 00:01
    Or another, more general, question: Does there exist a set of cardinality greater than that of the real numbers.
    The power set of the reals, of course, but that's not a very interesting answer. Try the set of all curves.
  8. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 10:02
    Originally posted by GregM
    The power set of the reals, of course, but that's not a very interesting answer. Try the set of all curves.
    Yup!

I do have to mention that my set-theory is based on Zermelo-Fraenkel. It was a difficult subject at first, but after a while I got the knack for it wich made the subject infinitely more fun 🙂
  9. Joined
    26 Oct '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 06:161 edit
    swlabr, could that have something to do with the rainbow having a beard? or a picture with a mustache?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree