Let's be having you

Let's be having you

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
23 Jul 05

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
This is what notation is for. Try giving my the moves you believe allow white to win. I can't make any sense of what you have there.
Looks to me like what is intended was
1.Bc6?? Rb1+
2.Ke2(orKd2) Rxh1
3.Bxh1 g2
4.Bxg2 Kxg2

V

Moves
24 Jul 05

Originally posted by mikebind
Looks to me like what is intended was
1.Bc6?? Rb1+
2.Ke2(orKd2) Rxh1
3.Bxh1 g2
4.Bxg2 Kxg2
Well, that would certainly appear to be a win to black alright. But if white DOESN'T recapture the rook, then what? Admittedly the black king has no move, but giving mate doesn't look feasible. And black is still threatening to advance his pawn to g2, which seems to win on the spot.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
25 Jul 05

Originally posted by Vandalizer
Well, that would certainly appear to be a win to black alright. But if white DOESN'T recapture the rook, then what? Admittedly the black king has no move, but giving mate doesn't look feasible. And black is still threatening to advance his pawn to g2, which seems to win on the spot.
Instead of recapturing the rook, play 3.Bg2+!! . The rest is easy.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
25 Jul 05

Right here we go:

1.Bc6 Rb1+ 2.Ke2 (2. Kd2? and white has no advantage) Rxh1?? 3.Bxh1?? g2?? 4.Bxg2 Kxg2 5. Nh4+ Kg1 6. Nxf5 and we have a theoretically drawn position (despite the right coloured bishop). However this doesn't mean anything as it is full of inaccurate play.

As BigDogg said 3. Bg2+! would win on the spot. In fact it's a mate in 4:
3. Bg2+! Kxg2 4. Nf4+ Kg1 5. Ke1 g2 6. Ne2#

Black playing 2. ... Rxh1?? allows this mate. 2. ... Rb2+ is the right move. However that too appears to lead to mate according to Fritz (the lines it spits out are completely mindbending though, I can't be sure exactly how long the mate is, I think maybe on move 13).

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
25 Jul 05

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Right here we go:

1.Bc6 Rb1+ 2.Ke2 (2. Kd2? and white has no advantage) Rxh1?? 3.Bxh1?? g2?? 4.Bxg2 Kxg2 5. Nh4+ Kg1 6. Nxf5 and we have a theoretically drawn position (despite the right coloured bishop). However this doesn't mean anything as it is full of inaccurate play.

As BigDogg said 3. Bg2+! would win on the spot. In fact it's a mate in 4:
3 ...[text shortened]... h, I can't be sure exactly how long the mate is, I think maybe on move 13).

If Black doesn't take the white Queen, then white has a mate threat on g2. Even if bR guards, white can play Bg2+ anyway, followed by Nf4+ picking up the Rook and leaving the pawns blockaded. Surely it's not necessary to calculate to mate in that line.

V

Moves
25 Jul 05

Ahhhh, that Dr Fritz! Who's gonna argue with him? Not me, that's for sure.

Well, there you go, more cute than difficult. Hmmm, most of the studies I now would fall into the same category. Fun for the weaker players maybe. I daresay I'll try to find another one to put up later, though I only seem to have ones that are pretty well known.

i

Moves
25 Jul 05

I may have what you need 🙂 In the solution it states that Kasparov and Kramnik had problems solving this study .
White to win:

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
25 Jul 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
If Black doesn't take the white Queen, then white has a mate threat on g2. Even if bR guards, white can play Bg2+ anyway, followed by Nf4+ picking up the Rook and leaving the pawns blockaded. Surely it's not necessary to calculate to mate in that line.
Oh I know white is completely winning in that line I was just stating that it is apparently forced mate. Apparently the shortest mate doesn't start with Bg2+ although I don't think I trust Fritz with it, the length bounces around as you go through the moves.