Letters & Envelopes

Letters & Envelopes

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
16 Jun 04

You have four addressed letters and four addressed envelopes. If you close your eyes and randomly insert letters into envelopes, what is the probability that exactly three letters will be in the right envelopes?

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
16 Jun 04
1 edit

Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
You have four addressed letters and four addressed envelopes. If you close your eyes and randomly insert letters into envelopes, what is the probability that exactly three letters will be in the right envelopes?

1/4 X 1/3 X 1/2 = 1/24

T

Moves
16 Jun 04

Originally posted by bbarr
1/4 X 1/3 X 1/2 = 1/24
Nope.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
16 Jun 04

Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
Nope.
Tricky. The probability is 0. If three are correct then the fourth must be also. Of course, the probability I gave above was for randomly placing all four envelopes correctly.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
17 Jun 04

Originally posted by bbarr
Tricky. The probability is 0. If three are correct then the fourth must be also. Of course, the probability I gave above was for randomly placing all four envelopes correctly.
Cool! I think you're right bbarr, the answer is zero for the reason you stated. And I was going to add that THUDandBLUNDER should have stated that only one letter should go into any one envelope, but that would given to big a clue to the solution and made it too easy.

S

Moves
17 Jun 04

Im pretty sure it's not zero, because it is possible for it to happen. I can't remember the equation off hand, but it's not quite 4! - I'll consult my communications book -

O
Lucky Patzer

Ohio University

Moves
18 Jun 04

what if i stuffed 3 letters in the correct envelopes and then stuffed the extra letter with another letter leaving an envelop empty then there could be 3 correct and 1 false

T

Moves
18 Jun 04
1 edit

Originally posted by Otis
what if i stuffed 3 letters in the correct envelopes and then stuffed the extra letter with another letter leaving an envelop empty then there could be 3 correct and 1 false
Perhaps I should have made it clear that one and only one letter goes into each envelope, in which case the right answer is zero.

O
Lucky Patzer

Ohio University

Moves
18 Jun 04

0 because you have no hands duh

A

Moves
19 Jun 04

well if you only stuff 3 of the envelopes with letters, then what is the probability?

T

Moves
19 Jun 04
1 edit

Originally posted by Awry
well if you only stuff 3 of the envelopes with letters, then what is the probability?
Probability = (1/4)(1/3)(1/2) = 1/24