1. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 15:38
    Given a system of equations Ax = b, with det(A) = 0, show that there are no solutions unless TRyb = 0, where y is any nontrivial solution of the system TRAy = 0

Since superscript is not available I've used TRA to mean the transpose of matrix A, similarly for TRy.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Jan '10 07:15
    I barely passed Linear Algebra. πŸ˜•
  3. FichtekrΓ€nzi
    Moves
    17 Jan '10 19:33
    First of all, Ax = b is not a system of equations, but just one equation.
    I assume, you are talking about matrices and vectors over a field and not about modules over a ring ( "det A != 0" should be "det A invertible" ).

Ok. Let us have the equation A x = b (det A 0 or not), and lets have an y as solution of ATy = 0 and with yTb != 0 . ( I prefer a postfix "T" as mark for the transposition )

If there was a solution to
    Ax = b then multipliate both sides with yT from the left:
    yTAx = yTb
    (ATy)Tx = yTb
    the left side is 0, the right side is != 0, which is a contradiction, so there is no
    solution to Ax = b. qed

I did not use det A = 0 anywhere!
    But if there is a nontrivial solution of ATy = 0, then det A must be zero.
    So det A = 0 is no precondition, but a concolusion.
    Your teacher did a bad job when building this homework.
    By the way, you shoud do your homework at home and not just pasting it here
  4. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    17 Jan '10 21:15
    Originally posted by afx
    I assume, you are talking about matrices and vectors over a field and not about modules over a ring ( "det A != 0" should be "det A invertible" ).

Ok. Let us have the equation A x = b (det A 0 or not), and lets have an y as solution of ATy = 0 and with yTb != 0 . ( I prefer a postfix " ...[text shortened]... his homework.
    Originally posted by afx

Thanks for your solution. There are some errors that you have made, here are a few:

This is false. A, b and x represent a square matrix, a column vector and a column vector respectively. In the context of the question this represents a system of equations in x1, x2, ...xn.

It isn't my homework and I am not a student, so this rather sanctimonious statement is based on a false premise.

But if there is a nontrivial solution of ATy = 0, then det A must be zero.
    So det A = 0 is no precondition, but a concolusion.

The question postulates the existence of such a solution, so I think saying the determinant is zero is just like saying x != 0 when considering y = 1/x. It is just tidy.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Jan '10 22:471 edit
    Originally posted by afx
    ATy = 0
    Lies! 😠
  6. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    17 Jan '10 23:10
    ATy = 0 => (ATy)T = 0T => yTA = 0T => (yTA)x = 0Tx => yT(Ax) = 0 (the scalar 0) => yTb = 0
  7. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 01:30
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    ATy = 0 => (ATy)T = 0T => yTA = 0T => (yTA)x = 0Tx => yT(Ax) = 0 (the scalar 0) => yTb = 0
    i think he was joking
  8. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 04:09
    Originally posted by randolph
    i think he was joking
    yeah since ATY is an abbreviation for his name i think he "took offense" to being called a zero! πŸ™‚
  9. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 09:15
    Originally posted by Aetherael
    yeah since ATY is an abbreviation for his name i think he "took offense" to being called a zero! πŸ™‚
    πŸ™‚

Sorry, missed that. Linear algebra caused a temporary sense of humour bypass.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 10:17
    The question postulates the existence of such a solution, so I think saying the determinant is zero is just like saying x != 0 when considering y = 1/x. It is just tidy.
    Why do you say that?

I thought saying the det(A)=0 is because, if not, the solution of the system would be in the form x = A^(-1)b and would be unique. Since rows of A will be linearly independent (when det(A)~=0), it must be unique.

However, since some rows of A are linearly dependent, there will be no solution unless it shares with b some properties (like the one described above). If it has such properties, this will imply then that there are infinite solutions.

As afx shows by contradiction, the property that (A'y = 0 & y'b = 0) is a necessary one.
  11. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 11:57
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Why do you say that?

I thought saying the det(A)=0 is because, if not, the solution of the system would be in the form x = A^(-1)b and would be unique. Since rows of A will be linearly independent (when det(A)~=0), it must be unique.

However, since some rows of A are linearly dependent, there will be no solution unless it shares with b some properties ...[text shortened]... s.

As afx shows by contradiction, the property that (A'y = 0 & y'b = 0) is a necessary one.
    Why do you say that?

I thought saying the det(A)=0 is because, if not, the solution of the system would be in the form x = A^(-1)b and would be unique.

Yes that's right. There is a unique solution if and only if det(A) is not equal to zero. With det(A) = 0 there are either no solutions and the equations are inconsistent, or there are infinitely many solutions, giving a complete row of zeros on reduction of the augmented matrix.
    So I think det(A) is a precondition for that part of the question, not a conclusion, just as x not = 0 is a precondition for y = 1/x to be defined on its domain. Hence I disagree with afx in that regard, although I could have put it better.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 12:58
    y = 1/x
    I still don't understand where this is coming from...
  13. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 13:15
    I still don't understand where this is coming from...
    Ok, maybe it was a bad analogy, sorry. (They are my specialty πŸ™‚)
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 13:18
    Ok, maybe it was a bad analogy, sorry. (They are my specialty πŸ™‚)
    Oops, I thought they were the same x and y of the problem, hence my confusion. πŸ™‚
  15. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 13:39
    Oops, I thought they were the same x and y of the problem, hence my confusion. πŸ™‚
    I should have made it more clear that they weren't, sorry.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree