1. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 17:431 edit
    This one may have been asked before, but it's relatively simple so let's give it a go:

A construction crew is trying to bring a ladder down a hallway that changes size at the corner. The initial hallway section is 3 metres wide, and the second hallway section is 5 metres wide (from the top view, the corner is a 3x5 metre rectangle). If the crew must carry the ladder horizontally under their arms, and the ladder is of negligible thickness, how long a ladder can the crew fit through the hallway?
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 17:553 edits
    Originally posted by PBE6
    This one may have been asked before, but it's relatively simple so let's give it a go:

A construction crew is trying to bring a ladder down a hallway that changes size at the corner. The initial hallway section is 3 metres wide, and the second hallway section is 5 metres wide (from the top view, the corner is a 3x5 metre square). If the crew must carry the ...[text shortened]... the ladder is of negligible thickness, how long a ladder can the crew fit through the hallway?
    how tall is the ceiling?

I don't know how to find the mid point of an ellipse....back to grade 8 math for me.

8 metres would be my best guess without having any formula to rely on.
  3. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 17:58

A construction crew is trying to bring a ladder down a hallway that changes size at the corner. The initial hallway section is 3 metres wide, and the second hallway section is 5 metres wide (from the top view, the corner is a 3x5 metre square). If the crew must carry the ...[text shortened]... the ladder is of negligible thickness, how long a ladder can the crew fit through the hallway?
    What's a 3x5 metre square?
  4. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 18:04
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    What's a 3x5 metre square?
    Haha, oops! That should say "rectangle"...
  5. Joined
    04 Aug '01
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 18:521 edit

A construction crew is trying to bring a ladder down a hallway that changes size at the corner. The initial hallway section is 3 metres wide, and the second hallway section is 5 metres wide (from the top view, the corner is a 3x5 metre rectangle). If the crew must carry ...[text shortened]... the ladder is of negligible thickness, how long a ladder can the crew fit through the hallway?
    I would say we need to find the minimum of the following function over the interval X in [0, Pi/2]:

f(X) = 3/SinX + 5/CosX

I get something like ~11.19 m. Does that sound about right?
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 19:142 edits
    Originally posted by davegage
    I would say we need to find the minimum of the following function over the interval X in [0, Pi/2]:

f(X) = 3/SinX + 5/CosX

7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 01:35
    Originally posted by davegage

f(X) = 3/SinX + 5/CosX

I get the same answer.
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 14:39
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I get the same answer.
    I drew it on graph paper...it works out to 11.2 metres also.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree