Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    14 Jun '05 13:441 edit


    White to move. Mate in 128.

    I'm quite new here, so not sure if this one has been posted before, but I like it alot. I admit this position is not gonna appear too often in real games, but still it's funny to have a forced mate in no less than 128 moves. Computers will show only +-0.00 here for a long time :-)

    edit: sorry, just saw that its only 127 moves ;-)
  2. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    14 Jun '05 13:501 edit
    Well the beginning is pretty obvious:
    1.Qe1+ Rc1 2.Qd2 which leaves me with just 126 1/2 moves to consider 🙂
    EDITED: it appears the only possible move for Black now is 2...Rc2 (for 2...Bc2 is followed by 3.Qc3 and 4.Qb2🙄, so a few more moves:
    2...Rc2 3.Qd1+ Rc1 4.Qxd3+ Rc2, still 122 moves left but it seems clear that the only two pieces that move are the White queen and the black rook.

  3. Joined
    24 May '05
    Moves
    1958
    14 Jun '05 14:07
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    [fen]8/7p/7p/p4n1p/b3Q2p/K2p3p/p1r5/rk5n w - - 0 1[/fen]

    White to move. Mate in 128.

    I'm quite new here, so not sure if this one has been posted before, but I like it alot. I admit this position is not gonna appear too often in real games, but still it's funny to have a forced mate in no less than 128 moves. Computers will show only +-0.00 here for a long time :-)
    LOL, is this serious a forced mate in 128, and not earlier???
  4. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    14 Jun '05 14:25
    yes it's all forced and there is no faster way to checkmate if black plays best. i was wrong though, it's only 127 moves. but that's still alot :-)
  5. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    14 Jun '05 14:37
    Hmmm... Okay, here we go:
    1.Qe1+ Rc1 2.Qd2 Rc2 3.Qd1+ Rc1 4.Qxd3+ Rc2 5.Qf1+ Rc1 6.Qxf5+ Rc2 7.Qf1+ Rc1 8.Qe2 Rc2 9.Qe1+ Rc1 10.Qe4+ Rc2 11.Qxh1+ Rc1 12. Qe4+ Rc2 13.Qe1+ Rc1
    (only 114 moves left)
  6. Joined
    24 May '05
    Moves
    1958
    14 Jun '05 14:38
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    yes it's all forced and there is no faster way to checkmate if black plays best. i was wrong though, it's only 127 moves. but that's still alot :-)
    Can you give me the solution or a link to the solution???
  7. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    37834
    14 Jun '05 14:49
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    Hmmm... Okay, here we go:
    1.Qe1+ Rc1 2.Qd2 Rc2 3.Qd1+ Rc1 4.Qxd3+ Rc2 5.Qf1+ Rc1 6.Qxf5+ Rc2 7.Qf1+ Rc1 8.Qe2 Rc2 9.Qe1+ Rc1 10.Qe4+ Rc2 11.Qxh1+ Rc1 12. Qe4+ Rc2 13.Qe1+ Rc1
    (only 114 moves left)
    8.Qe2? Rc3+ seems to spoil it
  8. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    14 Jun '05 15:10
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    8.Qe2? Rc3+ seems to spoil it
    Yes I am so stupid 🙂 Of course, it goes 8.Qd3+ Rc2 9.Qd1+ Rc1 10.Qd2 Rc2 11.Qe1+ Rc1 12. Qe4+ Rc2 13.Qxh1+ Rc1 14.Qe4+ Rc2 15.Qe1+ Rc1 16.Qd2 Rc2 17.Qd1+ Rc1 18.Qd3+ Rc2 19.Qe4!! h2 (repeat 15-19) 24...h3
    (repeat 15-19) 29...h4, and so on until, 39...h6 (repeat) 44...h1Q 45.Qxh1+ Rc1 46.Qe4+ Rc2 (repeat 15-19) 51...h2 (repeat 15-19) 56...h3 and so on, and so forth.
  9. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    14 Jun '05 15:19
    yup you got it. its the same mechanism until Q is on e4 once again and black moves his last pawn to h1. but what then? there has to be some checkmate then and if there is, why couldnt white do it before? thats the nice aspect about this problem, even though its not so difficult to figure out anymore now.
  10. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    37834
    14 Jun '05 15:47
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    yup you got it. its the same mechanism until Q is on e4 once again and black moves his last pawn to h1. but what then? there has to be some checkmate then and if there is, why couldnt white do it before? thats the nice aspect about this problem, even though its not so difficult to figure out anymore now.
    After the last Qxh1+ Rc1 white goes to Qh7+ Rc2 Qe4! forcing a bishop move and then Qe1+ Rc1 Qd2 Rc2 Qd1+ Rc1 Qb3#, since the bishop is not on a4 anymore.
  11. Standard memberjfkjmh
    nice one
    bed, chair or floor
    Joined
    03 Oct '04
    Moves
    4854
    14 Jun '05 17:34
    Those are a lot of moves.
    Which role does the pawn on a5 play?
  12. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    14 Jun '05 17:40
    Originally posted by jfkjmh
    Those are a lot of moves.
    Which role does the pawn on a5 play?
    To protect the b4 square making it inaccessible for the white queen.
  13. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    37834
    14 Jun '05 17:411 edit
    Originally posted by jfkjmh
    Those are a lot of moves.
    Which role does the pawn on a5 play?
    Qb4+ wins immediately without a pawn on a5.

    edit: as the posting above also indicates.
  14. Standard memberjfkjmh
    nice one
    bed, chair or floor
    Joined
    03 Oct '04
    Moves
    4854
    14 Jun '05 18:20
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Qb4+ wins immediately without a pawn on a5.

    edit: as the posting above also indicates.
    Sure.
    1.Qb4+ Bb3 and I thought 2.Qxb3+ Kc1 and 2.Kxb3 d2 would be good for black. But you are right:
    2.Qe1+ Rc1 3.Qd2 Rc2 4.Qd1+ Rc1 5.Qxb3#
    How could I miss that?
    Today is not my day🙁
  15. Earth Prime
    Joined
    16 Mar '05
    Moves
    21936
    15 Jun '05 19:16
    Once we get this solution can we get someone to play it out from set piece so we can watch it?
Back to Top