Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 04 Dec '05 12:15
    White to mate black in 2. Too easy for the experts please.



  2. 04 Dec '05 13:24 / 1 edit
    1.gxf6!

    If the last move was with one pawn, then the king or the other pawn couldn't be there. The g-pawn can't move. The f-pawn must have come from f7, otherwise the king would be in check.
  3. 04 Dec '05 13:36
    Originally posted by fetofs
    1.gxf6!

    If the last move was with one pawn, then the king or the other pawn couldn't be there. The g-pawn can't move. The f-pawn must have come from f7, otherwise the king would be in check.
    Yes. For completeness, black's last move couldn't have been with the king either, because he would have been in double check (and especially by the pawn who couldn't have moved itself).
  4. 08 Dec '05 02:38
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Yes. For completeness, black's last move couldn't have been with the king either, because he would have been in double check (and especially by the pawn who couldn't have moved itself).
    What if black takes the knight on his next move?
  5. 08 Dec '05 03:46
    Originally posted by jatyap
    What if black takes the knight on his next move?
    The correct answer wouldnt be g4-f6 because your king would be in check if the pawn takes the knight.
    It should be:

    1. g4-h6! gxh6 (or h2... doesn't matter)
    2. d1##
  6. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    08 Dec '05 04:08
    Originally posted by jatyap
    The correct answer wouldnt be g4-f6 because your king would be in check if the pawn takes the knight.
    It should be:

    1. g4-h6! gxh6 (or h2... doesn't matter)
    2. d1##
    Nope. If 1. Nh6 gxh6 then 2. Qd1+ isn't mate because of Kxg6.

    The puzzle is in fact a retro puzzle and fetofs showed that 0. ... f7-f5 must have been the last move so gxf6 e.p (you read gxf6 as Nxf6 which it isn't, a lowercase first letter is pawn takes from the file indicated) is playable and mates in two.

    Learn chess notation.