Math problem

Math problem

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U

19th hole

Moves
03 Nov 08
2 edits

I have this math problem that I am stuck on. You have to find f(x) if the roots are x=(1/7), -6+3i, -6-3i, ((-5+sqrt(7))/(2)), and ((-5-sqrt(7))/(2)), and the y-intercept is (0,-162) and f(-5) does not exist. You also have to find the oblique asymptote and explain why f(-5) does not not exist. I think that I found the correct function: f(x)=5.6x^5-40x^4-53.2x^3+966x^2+997.2x-162, but I don't know how to find the oblique asymptote, or why f(-5) does not exist. I have probably been very confusing in wording this problem, but I did the best I could. Would any of you guys happen to know how to find the oblique asymptote or why f(-5) does not exist? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
03 Nov 08

Originally posted by UserChevy
I have this math problem that I am stuck on. You have to find f(x) if the roots are x=(1/7), -6+3i, -6-3i, ((-5+sqrt(7))/(2)), and ((-5-sqrt(7))/(2)), and the y-intercept is (0,-162) and f(-5) does not exist. You also have to find the oblique asymptote and explain why f(-5) does not not exist. I think that I found the correct function: f(x)=5.6x^5-40 ...[text shortened]... find the oblique asymptote or why f(-5) does not exist? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Without specifying some other attributes of f, there are uncountably many answers.

A

Moves
03 Nov 08

Originally posted by UserChevy
I have this math problem that I am stuck on. You have to find f(x) if the roots are x=(1/7), -6+3i, -6-3i, ((-5+sqrt(7))/(2)), and ((-5-sqrt(7))/(2)), and the y-intercept is (0,-162) and f(-5) does not exist. You also have to find the oblique asymptote and explain why f(-5) does not not exist. I think that I found the correct function: f(x)=5.6x^5-40 ...[text shortened]... find the oblique asymptote or why f(-5) does not exist? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
i think the equation you are looking for can be found from a few steps:

1. let the product of all the roots = g(x) (ex. (7x-1)(x^2+6x+15)(4x^2+20x+18) = g(x) )
in other words, let each of the roots = zero, rearrange to put all the terms on one side (i.e. x=1/7 becomes 7x-1=0) and then using the reverse of the zero-product rule, you can find a polynomial that gives you zero.

now, for this equation, g(0) = -270 which is not -162. so you have to multiply through by a constant multiplier, in this case let f(x) = 162/270 * g(x). now we have the first two parts in order.

for f(-5) not to exist, the denominator must -> 0 as x->-5, in other words, put an (x+5) in the denominator.

and as far as an oblique asymptote goes, there are a number of possible answers. if there is only an (x+5)^1 power in the denominator, then there's no asymptote so the function rises to infinity. if there is a higher degree (for example (x+5)^15 ) in the denominator, then as x moves toward positive infinity, a horizontal asymptote of y=0 appears.

however, if the degree in the numerator is one greater than the degree of the denominator (our roots give us a 5th degree polynomial beginning with 28x^5) an oblique asymptote will be apparent as x approaches infinity. so... let the denominator be (x+5)^4, and do a little polynomial division. you will get a linear term and a fraction that goes to zero. so the oblique asymptote will be y = (linear term of the division)

i hope this helps i'm just too lazy to do the actual work for the last part and hopefully you'll know follow what i'm trying to say

F

Moves
03 Nov 08

Originally posted by Aetherael

1. let the product of all the roots = g(x) (ex. (7x-1)(x^2+6x+15)(4x^2+20x+18) = g(x) )
in other words, let each of the roots = zero, rearrange to put all the terms on one side (i.e. x=1/7 becomes 7x-1=0) and then using the reverse of the zero-product rule, you can find a polyno ...[text shortened]... do the actual work for the last part and hopefully you'll know follow what i'm trying to say
Am I nerdy to like this posting? I loved it!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Nov 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Am I nerdy to like this posting? I loved it!
yes you are nerdy, but you are in company, because I enjoyed it as well..

U

19th hole

Moves
04 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Aetherael

in other words, let each of the roots = zero, rearrange to put all the terms on one side (i.e. x=1/7 becomes 7x-1=0) and then using the reverse of the zero-product rule, you can find a polyno do the actual work for the last part and hopefully you'll know follow what i'm trying to say
This was a very helpful post, thanks for helping out. I still think that I might have messed up the oblique asymptote, as I got a 5th degree polynomial for the oblique asymptote, but it is supposed to be a 4th degree polynomial? Oh well, I think that I got the right function anyways, and thank you for your post.

A

Moves
05 Nov 08

you're welcome 🙂 it makes me happy to have people enjoy my self-proclaimed nerdy math posts haha. i used to love posting in this posers/puzzles forum but haven't been here in a long time. you guys have brought me back 😉