1. Hawaii
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 20:54
    so a math problem that i'm having trouble with. somebody please help. this isn't the entire problem...just the part a can't figure out.

so along the curve y=sin(x) the velocity of an object is described as V=1+5cos^2(x^2). How does one determine the time it takes for the object to move between two points. Specifically between the two points in which the curve y=sin(x) intersects y=x^2 (which is 0 and .8767)

Thanking whoever can help with this bastard in advance. Mahalo nui. NN
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 10:00
    Originally posted by Hawaiianhomegrown
    so along the curve y=sin(x) the velocity of an object is described as V=1+5cos^2(x^2). How does one determine the time it takes for the object to move between two points. Specifically between the two points in which the curve y=sin(x) intersects y=x^2 (which is 0 and .8767)
    A clue: If the curve had been a straight line (instead of a sinus curve), would it be easier to solve the problem?

I never give the answers, I always give clues to progress.
  3. Joined
    15 Mar '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 20:19
    so a math problem that i'm having trouble with. somebody please help. this isn't the entire problem...just the part a can't figure out.

so along the curve y=sin(x) the velocity of an object is described as V=1+5cos^2(x^2). How does one determine the time it takes for the object to move between two points. Specifically between the two points ...[text shortened]... h is 0 and .8767)

Thanking whoever can help with this bastard in advance. Mahalo nui. NN
    You need to find the length of the curve y = sin(x) between the two points in question. The formula for curve length is:
    integral from (a to b) of (sqrt(1 + (d/dx(f(x)))^2)) dx. This will be your distance.
    So, we have: integral of(sqrt(1+cos^2(x))dx).

You'll have to do some fancy footwork with trig identities to integrate that function, but I hope that this helps you.
  4. Hawaii
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 06:13
    thanks
  5. Hawaii
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 06:16
    oh...that was sarcasm...it didn't help at all. The problem I'm having is that the velocity is a function of where you are along the x-axis. I got the distance of the curve but how long does it take to go through the distance as a function of x?
  6. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 07:04
    oh...that was sarcasm...it didn't help at all. The problem I'm having is that the velocity is a function of where you are along the x-axis. I got the distance of the curve but how long does it take to go through the distance as a function of x?
    How 'bout this:

arc length = L(x) = int[x0,x] of SQRT(1+cos^2(x))
    speed = v = 1+5cos^2(x^2)

Also, v = dL/dt = dL/dx * dx/dt by the chain rule.

Now, dL/dx = SQRT(1+cos^2(x)), and subbing this into the expression derived from the chain rule and solving for dx/dt, we get:

dx/dt = [1+5cos^2(x^2)]/[SQRT(1+cos^2(x))]

This is a separable differential equation, so we can separate the like terms to get:

int(x0,x) of [SQRT(1+cos^2(x))]/[1+5cos^2(x^2)] dx = int(t0,t) of dt

So there's your expression for the time as a function of x. Now you just have to solve it. If it's wrong, just PM royalchicken. He eats this kind of crap for breakfast. Then he picks his teeth with the Navier-Stokes equations. Then he takes a nap, but that's just for show.
  7. Hawaii
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 06:52
    nice. that did it. my gratitude to the chicken. and the banana.
  8. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 08:55
    my gratitude to the chicken.
    But I wasn't involved at all 😕.
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 16:42
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    But I wasn't involved at all 😕.
    Yeah, but we invoked your name a few times. Better get used to being the RHP math messiah.

Oh, BTW, I'm going to kidnap a few random pedestrians later this week and shave their heads until they promise to be your acolytes, so if you could swing by, umm, maybe next Wednesday to anoint their shorn skulls, that would be great!

Prosperity and long life, royal one! Baacock!

😵🙄😵
  10. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 17:17
    nice. that did it. my gratitude to the chicken. and the banana.
    BTW, did you manage to work out that integral? It looks pretty tough.
  11. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 17:23
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Yeah, but we invoked your name a few times. Better get used to being the RHP math messiah.

Oh, BTW, I'm going to kidnap a few random pedestrians later this week and shave their heads until they promise to be your acolytes, so if you could swing by, umm, maybe next Wednesday to anoint their shorn skulls, that would be great!

Prosperity and long life, royal one! Baacock!

😵🙄😵
    Funnily enough, the original and probably greatest RHP maths messiah was Acolyte. I met him in person about a year ago, but he seems to have vanished from RHP, unfivetunately.

Do I have to shave my head into some sort of rooster mohawk? I'm totally up for that.

BAAAacock back atcha.
  12. Hawaii
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 18:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 19:18
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Funnily enough, the original and probably greatest RHP maths messiah was Acolyte. I met him in person about a year ago, but he seems to have vanished from RHP, unfivetunately.

Do I have to shave my head into some sort of rooster mohawk? I'm totally up for that.

BAAAacock back atcha.
    I remember Acolyte...his avatar was a giant digestive cookie, wasnt' it? Whatever happened to him? I remember he had some pretty interesting puzzles. Too bad he's gone, I love digestive cookies. They're so close to poop, yet sweet like candy. Truly nature's perfect food.

The Royal One's wishes are law, Royal One. I will send several peons to gather a team of capon stylists so that your ex-salted-ness may pick and choose in a manner befitting Reality TV or grade school sports teams.

O! Let stringed instruments of every kind ring out, and the corn in the fields be shucked in joy, and the wheat in the fields sheaved in mirth!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree