Math Riddles

Math Riddles

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ck

Tempe, AZ

Moves
10 Aug 06

Hi everybody. Please suggest any riddle to this thread. (If it is a Math Riddle, that is...)

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
10 Aug 06

Originally posted by chess kid1
Hi everybody. Please suggest any riddle to this thread. (If it is a Math Riddle, that is...)
Here's a good one:

Why is six so very afraid?

ck

Tempe, AZ

Moves
10 Aug 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Here's a good one:

Can u RedHotPawn - mail the answer to me? I want to post it on some other website. 🙂

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
10 Aug 06

Can u RedHotPawn - mail the answer to me? I want to post it on some other website. 🙂
Oh lordy, you're terrorizing multiple websites. 😲

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
10 Aug 06

What's going on here? It looks silly.

t

Moves
11 Aug 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Here's a good one:

Because seven ate nine

t

Moves
11 Aug 06

Hardly "good" or a maths problem...

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
11 Aug 06
1 edit

You attend a party along with N other people. Given any group of 4 party-goers you can be sure that at least one of the 4 knows the other three. Prove that at least one person knows all others at the party.

EDIT: I have saved this thread.

T

Moves
11 Aug 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
You attend a party along with N other people. Given any group of 4 party-goers you can be sure that at least one of the 4 knows the other three. Prove that at least one person knows all others at the party.

That'll teach him!

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
11 Aug 06

Originally posted by ThudanBlunder
That'll teach him!
They wanted math they'll get math.

t

Moves
11 Aug 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ

EDIT: I have saved this thread.
Why save a chesskid thread? Why didn't you make another one? WHY!? 😀

ck

Tempe, AZ

Moves
11 Aug 06

Originally posted by thespacemonkey
Because seven ate nine
No. Because seven eight nine, I think.

ck

Tempe, AZ

Moves
11 Aug 06

Originally posted by ThudanBlunder
That'll teach him!
That'll teach who?

a

Moves
11 Aug 06

assume that no guest knows all the other guests. then each guest does not know (at least) one other person. since in any group of 4 people you must know at least 1 there are a maximum of 2 strangers per guest. now according to our assumption if i pick a random guest A from the party there Exists guest B such that A,B are strangers. now we pick a third guest C if A,B,C are all strangers then they've reached their maximum of two strangers each so any fourth guest D must know them all (If there are only 4 guests then we are done) but again according to our assumption there Exists a fifth guest E who is a stranger to D. take the group A,B,D,E. A is a stranger to B who is a stranger to A and D is a stranger to E who is a stranger to D, this contradicts the assumption so at least one guest knows everyone.

in fact this shows that if A,B,C are all strangers then all the other guests know everyone at the party.

T

Moves
11 Aug 06

That'll teach who?
That'll teach you to ask for maths riddles. 😛