Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. 11 Apr '06 01:02
    When does:
    10+3= 1?
    9+9=6?

    Chances are if you get one, you get them both.
  2. 11 Apr '06 03:14
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    When does:
    10+3= 1?
    9+9=6?

    Chances are if you get one, you get them both.
    no idea.

    do you?
  3. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    11 Apr '06 03:19
    Originally posted by Zelinda
    no idea.

    do you?
    It might have a solution like this: 10+3=13 or ONE bakers dozen.
    Not sure of the 9+9=6 part. 9+9=18 which is 6X3, it could be something like 9 pints plus 9 pints = 6 drams or something.
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    11 Apr '06 03:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It might have a solution like this: 10+3=13 or ONE bakers dozen.
    Not sure of the 9+9=6 part. 9+9=18 which is 6X3, it could be something like 9 pints plus 9 pints = 6 drams or something.
    One dram is 5 mL. Try again.
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    11 Apr '06 03:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    One dram is 5 mL. Try again.
    Well duh, I was just making an example. Out of the hundreds of units of stuff 18 X probably = 6Y, Thats why I added 'or something'. I wasn't being literal.
  6. 11 Apr '06 03:47
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    When does:
    10+3= 1?
    9+9=6?

    Chances are if you get one, you get them both.
    10+3=13-12=1
    9+9=18-12=6
    subtract 12.
  7. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    11 Apr '06 04:02
    Originally posted by SJ247
    10+3=13-12=1
    9+9=18-12=6
    subtract 12.
    2+2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2.
  8. 11 Apr '06 04:05
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    2+2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2.
    Okay, I know you know fancy math and all, but 2+2 doesn't equal 5.
  9. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    11 Apr '06 04:12
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    When does:
    10+3= 1?
    9+9=6?

    Chances are if you get one, you get them both.
    10+3 = 1 mod 12

    9+9 = 6 mod 12
  10. 11 Apr '06 04:14
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    10+3 = 1 mod 12

    9+9 = 6 mod 12
    Please define "mod".
  11. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    11 Apr '06 04:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by SJ247
    Okay, I know you know fancy math and all, but 2+2 doesn't equal 5.
    It could if you used the right number base. Say like base 1/2 Sqrt 5.
    I think then 2+2 would in fact = 5. A friend of mine, Malcom Lines is a retired Bell labs scientist and wrote a book about numbers called
    'A number for your thoughts', he gave me a copy. He blew Isaac Asimov's mind when he showed you don't even have to use positive numbers to represent all the numbers, like base negative 10.
    They corresponded till Isaac died.
  12. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    11 Apr '06 04:21
    Originally posted by SJ247
    Please define "mod".
    The remainders on dividing the two sums by twelve are respectively 1 and 6.
  13. 11 Apr '06 04:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It could if you used the right number base. Say like base 1/2 Sqrt 5.
    I think then 2+2 would in fact = 5. A friend of mine, Malcom Lines is a retired Bell labs scientist and wrote a book about numbers called
    'A number for your thoughts', he gave me a copy. He blew Isaac Asimov's mind when he showed you don't even have to use positive numbers to represent all the numbers, like base negative 10.
    They corresponded till Isaac died.
    Thank you, it's all clear to me now.
  14. 11 Apr '06 04:25 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    The remainders on dividing the two sums by twelve are respectively 1 and 6.
    Okay, so my answer is not the same thing? Isn't 10+3=1 "mod" 12, the same as saying 10+3-12=1?

    I wish I could love math.
  15. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    11 Apr '06 04:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by SJ247
    Okay, so my answer is not the same thing?
    same answer but differant operations.
    BTW. SJ, if that is your real picture in your profile you are a real beauty.