Maths

Maths

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
04 Aug 05

When a positive integer N is written in base 9, it is a two-digit number. Wnen 6N is written in base 7, it is a three-digit number obtained from the two-digit number by writing 4 to its right. Find the decimal representations of all such numbers N.

Does that mean the two-digit number of base 9 and the three-digit number of base 7 both contain one "4"?
Please explain.

i

Moves
04 Aug 05

Originally posted by ardnas
When a positive integer N is written in base 9, it is a two-digit number. Wnen 6N is written in base 7, it is a three-digit number obtained from the two-digit number by writing 4 to its right. Find the decimal representations of all such numbers N.

Does that mean the two-digit number of base 9 and the three-digit number of base 7 both contain one "4"?
Please explain.
By 6N do you mean 6xN or the 6N (as in concatenation of N after 6)?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
04 Aug 05

Originally posted by ardnas

Please explain.
OK, here's my list of numbers (decimal - Nbase9/6*Nbase7):

10 - 11/114
24 - 26/264

So it's not necessary to have a 4 in both numbers. Explaination to follow when I figure it out.

j

Moves
04 Aug 05

There is only one decimal number that fits this construct. The two digit number does not contain a 4. Should I PM you with the number or just post it?

a

Moves
06 Aug 05

Originally posted by jebry
There is only one decimal number that fits this construct. The two digit number does not contain a 4. Should I PM you with the number or just post it?
Please email me with it, thanks!