1. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '04 19:59
    Mr. Moogle sells ice cream to six children Sue, Mary, Ashley, Mark, John, and Frank. He sells each of them six different kinds of ice cream vanilla, neopolitan, chocolate, strawberry, rocky road, and cookie dough. All these children go to the same school and there are six clicks at their school , the jocks, the nerds, the cheerleaders, the book club, the cool kids, and the weird kids. Each of the six children are in different groups. Figure out which kid in what click bought what kind of ice cream.

1.Mark, John, and the person who got rocky road don't like chocolate and aren't nerds.
    2.Mary, Ashley, and the person who got chocolate aren't weird or in the book club.
    3. John likes books but doesn't like strawberry.
    4.Mary is a cheerleader and doesn't like rocky road, chocolate or vanilla.
    5.Mary, Sue , and Ashley aren't nerds.
    6. Mark and John aren't weird and don't like vanilla rocky road or strawberry.
    7.Mary and Sue don't like chocolate or vanilla.
    8. Their school doesn't have any male cheerleaders.
    9. Frank doesn't like rocky road and isn't a jock.
    10. The girls aren't jocks.
    11. Mary and Sue aren't cool.
    12.Frank likes cookies.
    13.Sue doesn't like regular ice cream.😏
  2. Standard memberRemora91
    btch plz.
    Moves
    05 Jul '04 22:06
    Originally posted by sandshark14
    Mr. Moogle sells ice cream to six children Sue, Mary, Ashley, Mark, John, and Frank. He sells each of them six different kinds of ice cream vanilla, neopolitan, chocolate, strawberry, rocky road, and cookie dough. All these children go to the same school and there are six clicks at their school , the jocks, the nerds, the cheerleaders, the book club, the ...[text shortened]... . Mary and Sue aren't cool.
    12.Frank likes cookies.
    13.Sue doesn't like regular ice cream.😏
    I have selective listening. This is as far as I can get:

Frank: Nerd, chocolate
    Sue: Weird, rocky road
    Mary: Cheer leader, strawberry
    Ashley: Cool, vanilla
    Mark: Jock
    John: Book Club

Since Mark and John both dislike the same things its impossible to tell which likes cookie dough and which likes neopolitan.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 01:38
    Originally posted by sandshark14
    1.Mark, John, and the person who got rocky road don't like chocolate and aren't nerds.
    2.Mary, Ashley, and the person who got chocolate aren't weird or in the book club.
    7.Mary and Sue don't like chocolate or vanilla.
    12.Frank likes cookies.
    There is an error, whether a typo or something.
    Note from the preceding edited list that Frank is forced into both chocolate and cookies.
    1. Mark and John aren't chocolate eaters.
    2. Mary and Ashley aren't chocolate eaters.
    3. Sue is not a chocolate eater.

This leaves Frank to eat the chocolate.

But
    12. Frank likes cookies.

I know people are going to say that, it doesn't say that he ordered cookie dough ice cream, but my past experience with these puzzles indicates that there aren't red herring clues.
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Jul '04 01:57
    In fact, there is a lot of duplication in this puzzle (facts stated twice, such as Mary not liking chocolate) as well as a complete absence of information about other things. These puzzles typically have the bare minimum number of clues, with just enough information to solve the puzzle.

Also, consider the abiguity of statements of the statements about boys or girls; Ashley could be either a male or female name. And what is "normal" ice cream.

This puzzle is either poorly designed or incorrectly typed.

It is, in this state, unsolvable.

If we assume that Ashley is female and that Frank in fact does not like cookies, you still can't solve it.

Sue, Rocky Road, Weird
    Mary, Strawberry, Cheer
    Ashley, Vanilla, Cool
    Mark, ?, Jock
    John, ?, Book
    Frank, Chocolate, Nerd

There is no discussion about Neopolitan at all, and the one statement (refering to Frank) about cookies gives no help. If either John or Mark liked cookies rather than Frank then the other would like Neopolitan, but I still maintain that the puzzle is clumsy at best.
  5. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 19:06
    Can we assume that where it says

"1.Mark, John, and the person who got rocky road don't like chocolate and aren't nerds."

That these are three different people?
  6. Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 13:57
    I agree that this puzzle is not solvable as is.

At one point I deduced that Frank likes chocolate, but clue 12 states that he likes cookies. This is meant to imply that he likes cookie dough ice cream.

-Ray.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree