1. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    23 Dec '07 22:23
    So in my AP Physics class we were talking about what we should do for the 3 weeks after the AP test in may. My teacher decided that we were going to conduct our very own mythbusters. However, we haven't really found a myth that we can really use. Does anyone have any urban legends/myths that they wish they could test?
  2. Joined
    24 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 01:08
    ORANGES DON"T LEAVE BRUISES!!!
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 09:24
    What about investigating the magical powers of brown paper? There are lots of old-wives' tales about brown-paper bags ... they help ripen some fruit and keep others fresh (?!!?)

But my favourite is brown-paper and vinegar to help bring a bruise out. Fact or fiction?
  4. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 15:53
    Originally posted by TDR1
    So in my AP Physics class we were talking about what we should do for the 3 weeks after the AP test in may. My teacher decided that we were going to conduct our very own mythbusters. However, we haven't really found a myth that we can really use. Does anyone have any urban legends/myths that they wish they could test?
    Can an airplane on a backwards-running treadmill still take off?!? 😵

(If you actually get to try this, please please PLEASE post the results here so we can get rid of those annoying airplane/treadmill threads...)
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 16:41
    A glass of warm water placed in the freezer freezes faster than a glass of cold water.

Anything dealing with astrology, tarot, charms, predicting lottery numbers . . .anything like that.
  6. Earth Prime
    Moves
    24 Dec '07 20:31
    Actually i did one.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8162302262003580758
  7. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    25 Dec '07 02:22
    Originally posted by Coconut
    Actually i did one.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8162302262003580758
    😴

...what the?!? Oh...a little long, but interesting. The experiment could have been controlled a bit better too, but the results are as you'd expect. Can you get extra credit for a follow-up?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 02:061 edit
    Originally posted by coquette
    A glass of warm water placed in the freezer freezes faster than a glass of cold water.

Anything dealing with astrology, tarot, charms, predicting lottery numbers . . .anything like that.
    Actually the myth is that water that has just been brought to a full boil, then allowed to cool, will freeze faster than water at the same temperature that hasn't. And I don't know if it's true or not.
  9. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 07:17
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Actually the myth is that water that has just been brought to a full boil, then allowed to cool, will freeze faster than water at the same temperature that hasn't. And I don't know if it's true or not.
    What are you supposed to do with boiling ice cubes?

Granny
  10. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 08:39
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    If it is true, it probably has something to do with the purity of the water. Depending on how many particles are in the water, I think it can effect freezing time. Especially if there are no particles in the water, then it can't freeze. Not really sure though, just going on what little knowledge I have and filling the whole with logic.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 13:42
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    If it is true, it probably has something to do with the purity of the water. Depending on how many particles are in the water, I think it can effect freezing time. Especially if there are no particles in the water, then it can't freeze. Not really sure though, just going on what little knowledge I have and filling the whole with logic.
    Any impurities in water will lower the temperature at which it freezes (hence polar seas are sub-zero) and its why we put salt on our paths.

Hard tap-water contains lots of calcium salts (amongst others) and this will affect the freezing point. Boling the water first will have no effect.

Some tap-water has 'temporary' hardness cause by bicarbonate molecules in solution. Not sure of chemistry but when heated (I don't think actual boiling is necessary) these bicarbonates change into insoluble carbonates and leave the nasty scale on the inside of your kettle.

THEREFORE providing the initial tap-water contained bicarbonates boiling will remove some of the dissolved salts making the water EASIER to freeze.

An interesting experiment maybe to COMPARE water from different sources regarding the boiling/freezing thing.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 14:28
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Any impurities in water will lower the temperature at which it freezes (hence polar seas are sub-zero) and its why we put salt on our paths.

Hard tap-water contains lots of calcium salts (amongst others) and this will affect the freezing point. Boling the water first will have no effect.

Some tap-water has 'temporary' hardness cause by bicarbonate m ...[text shortened]... xperiment maybe to COMPARE water from different sources regarding the boiling/freezing thing.
    http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Water+softness
  13. Joined
    24 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 23:201 edit
    I have one. What would happen if one were to ingest one quarter liter of dry ice?

And what if one were to create frozen nitrogen? Would it have the same properties of dry ice?
  14. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 04:21
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

Some tap-water has 'temporary' hardness cause by bicarbonate m ...[text shortened]... xperiment maybe to COMPARE water from different sources regarding the boiling/freezing thing.
    Listen up dudes. Granny has the correct answer, again. If you pour hot water into an 8oz. glass, and pour cold water into an 8oz glass (to the top); the hot water glass has less water in it than the cold water glass. There is more space between the water molecules therefore less water freezes before more water. Simple physics. Case closed. And, as we say in texas, if it isn't true ....it should be.

GRANNY.
  15. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 04:53
    The point of boiling the water first, then having a race to freeze it is interesting. I don't believe that any of the theorists have it right, though.

The point, I think, would go to the solubility of gases in water. Atmospheric gases are not as soluble in hot water as in cold water, and "pure water," as mentioned above, would be water with NO impurities, including oxygen, and that would freeze faster.

So, you have your project.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree