1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 19:01
    Originally posted by smw6869
    So, would you sum this all up for me . I don't get it!

Granny
    Summation #2: Granny's prediction on the first page was WRONG. Granny discovered this the right way.
  2. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 00:35
    It can happen, which I did not believe at first:

"The phenomenon that hot water may freeze faster than cold is often called the Mpemba effect. Because, no doubt, most readers are extremely skeptical at this point, we should begin by stating precisely what we mean by the Mpemba effect. We start with two containers of water, which are identical in shape, and which hold identical amounts of water. The only difference between the two is that the water in one is at a higher (uniform) temperature than the water in the other. Now we cool both containers, using the exact same cooling process for each container. Under some conditions the initially warmer water will freeze first. If this occurs, we have seen the Mpemba effect. Of course, the initially warmer water will not freeze before the initially cooler water for all initial conditions. If the hot water starts at 99.9° C, and the cold water at 0.01° C, then clearly under those circumstances, the initially cooler water will freeze first. However, under some conditions the initially warmer water will freeze first -- if that happens, you have seen the Mpemba effect. But you will not see the Mpemba effect for just any initial temperatures, container shapes, or cooling conditions."

- http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/hot_water.html
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 17:56
    My flabber has never been more gasted! I thought this was an elaborate hoax but it seems it is true!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 23:58
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    My flabber has never been more gasted! I thought this was an elaborate hoax but it seems it is true!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect
    Kinda sorta. Hot water does not freeze faster than cool water, but sometimes VERY hot water will freeze faster than slightly less hot water.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_098b.html
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 05:46
    Okay, so the last word is in on the hot water-cold water mystery.

Here's another one, although it's really only a truly functional test this time of year in the tropics or sub topics.

Are those silly umbrellas in beverages functional or pure decoration?

Functional purposes:

1. shield the drink from falling impurities (e.g., sea gull droppings);
    2. shield the drink from solar radiation, keeping the ice from melting and diluting the drink and flavor too quickly.

The falling debris isn't lab testable, in my opinion, and it also has absolute prime face validity, but the solar shielding effect is testable with a double-blinded procedure. Ideally the test would be conducted with those ridiculously named tropical drinks on the island nation of barbados, but the conditions can be replicated with regular ice tea or soft drinks and a heat lamp. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun, though. I'd recommend the trip.
  6. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 06:08
    Originally posted by coquette
    Okay, so the last word is in on the hot water-cold water mystery.

Here's another one, although it's really only a truly functional test this time of year in the tropics or sub topics.

Are those silly umbrellas in beverages functional or pure decoration?

Functional purposes:

1. shield the drink from falling impurities (e.g., sea gull droppings); ...[text shortened]... drinks and a heat lamp. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun, though. I'd recommend the trip.
    Granny will figure this one out also. I shall begin imbibing those silly umbrella beverages, in mass quanties, immediately. Results in the morning. Later Red.

GRANNY
  7. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 18:26
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Granny will figure this one out also. I shall begin imbibing those silly umbrella beverages, in mass quanties, immediately. Results in the morning. Later Red.

GRANNY
    Granny here. I couldn't find my small umbrellas so i just used my big black one. Had the sun lamp on, full bore. Had fan blowing across the cat box onto the beverages. Can't remember when i passed out, but i went to powder my face this morning, only to discover that i had small red circles all over my face. Thought for sure i had gotten Ring Worm. However, discovered later that i had fallen asleep on a tray of shot glasses. Proof positive that even a large umbrella won't keep ya from getting ring worm. Case closed.

GRANNY.
  8. Brooklyn
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 00:31
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    What about investigating the magical powers of brown paper? There are lots of old-wives' tales about brown-paper bags ... they help ripen some fruit and keep others fresh (?!!?)

But my favourite is brown-paper and vinegar to help bring a bruise out. Fact or fiction?
    this is true but its a false riping to make something ripe it has to grow on a tree this mthod is what companies use to flasely make their fruit ripe during shipping most fruit especially apples release nitrogen which has this effect

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree