Moves
    15 Apr '22 14:211 edit
    Do you have any more?
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 May '22 13:06
    A fort is a convex polygon 700m in perimeter.Patrols walk around the fort staying exactly 10m from it's walls.How far does the patrol walk in one circuit ?
    Good luck.I don't even know what a convex polygon is!
    My first question would be are they walking inside or outside,but as the question doesn't say,I suspect it doesn't matter!
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 May '22 13:26
    @venda said
    A fort is a convex polygon 700m in perimeter.Patrols walk around the fort staying exactly 10m from it's walls.How far does the patrol walk in one circuit ?
    Good luck.I don't even know what a convex polygon is!
    My first question would be are they walking inside or outside,but as the question doesn't say,I suspect it doesn't matter!
    If it were inside, the question wouldn't be answerable. (Consider a fort 10m wide and 70m long...)

(A convex polygon, by the way, is a rectangle, or a triangle, or any multi-lined shape with only external angles. A star, for instance, is not one - it has some reflex angles and is therefore concave.)

Anyway, the answer is Reveal Hidden Content
    762.83 and a bit metres
    That's because, if you make a picture, you wil see that Reveal Hidden Content
    they always walk along the sides for exactly the distance of that side. Those parts, therefore, add up to 700 as well. And when they get to a corner, they have to turn through a circle segment until they can start walking along the next side. But, because the fort is convex, and they end up back at the starting point for the next circuit, all those segments fit together to make exactly one circle of radius 10 - a length of 2 × pi × 10 = 62.83 plus change.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 May '22 14:12
    The paper doesn't give a numerical answer but there is an explanation:-
    Reveal Hidden Content
    (700 + 20pi)m - My computer doesn't have the pi symbol
    The path proceeds in straight lines that are parallel and equal in length to the walls interleaved with arcs of a circle 10m in radius.The arcs combine to make a full circle

Way beyond me I'm afraid.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 May '22 14:17
    @venda said
    The paper doesn't give a numerical answer but there is an explanation:-
    Hidden content removed
    Way beyond me I'm afraid.
    Draw it. Start by looking up what a convex polygon is, draw some (start with a rectangle, it's easiest to think about), then draw how you would walk a fixed distance around it. It's easier to see than to talk about.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 May '22 09:42
    A chess variant is played on a large board but the knights L shaped move is 7 squares in one direction and 10 in another.If I want to move a knight one square horizontally,what are the fewest moves that I must make ?
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 May '22 08:47
    @venda said
    A chess variant is played on a large board but the knights L shaped move is 7 squares in one direction and 10 in another.If I want to move a knight one square horizontally,what are the fewest moves that I must make ?
    I can do it in...

Reveal Hidden Content
    17 moves.

Reasoning:

Reveal Hidden Content
    No matter how we slice it, we are always setting some multiple of 7 in opposition to some multiple of 10. One way to get a net change of one square is 3*7 - 2*10. Another is 5*10 - 7*7. The number of sevens always seems to be odd.

Reveal Hidden Content
    Thus, to make the other net change of 0 squares, the number of tens must always be odd. The lowest multiple of 7 that cancels out an odd multiple of 10 is 70. Seven moves of 10 each, and ten moves of 7 each is 17 total moves.

Reveal Hidden Content
    Going back to the delta of 1 square, this means ten moves of 10 each, and seven of 7 each. I can cancel out as many pairs of 10 and 7 as needed, by moving the knight in opposite directions. This means I can make two net moves of 10 each, and three net moves of 7 each. Problem solved.
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    25 May '22 09:51
    @bigdogg said
    I can do it in...

Hidden content removed

Reasoning:

Hidden content removed
    Hidden content removed
    Hidden content removed
    Well done Mr Dogg
  10. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    13 Jun '22 08:00
    A railway system has 700 stations connected in a circle so that sometimes travellers have to call at 350 stations.New high speed services are proposed by the government that directly links stations 25 places apart,reducing the number of stations that have to be visited.The opposition argues that stations 28 apart should be linked instead.
    Which proposal leads to the fewest visits in the worst case
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Jun '22 17:112 edits
    @venda said
    A railway system has 700 stations connected in a circle so that sometimes travellers have to call at 350 stations.New high speed services are proposed by the government that directly links stations 25 places apart,reducing the number of stations that have to be visited.The opposition argues that stations 28 apart should be linked instead.
    Which proposal leads to the fewest visits in the worst case
    The worst point for any system of direct links is the one that is just shy of 350, halfway between the direct links.

With direct links of 25, the worst case is Reveal Hidden Content
    point #338, which requires 13 direct links plus 13 individual stops, for a total of 26 stations visited.

With direct links of 28, the worst case is Reveal Hidden Content
    point #350, which requires 12 direct links plus 14 individual stops, for a total of 26 stations visited.

Given that Reveal Hidden Content
    the worst-case number of stops is the same
    , the government should Reveal Hidden Content
    save taxpayers some money and do the links 28 stations apart.

Edit: the solution may well be wrong, because I forgot to consider Reveal Hidden Content
    starting out midway between the direct links

Edit: I think the given solution is OK. All that changes is that we do the small steps at the beginning of the trip, rather than the end.
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    14 Jun '22 08:20

Removed by poster

13. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    14 Jun '22 08:241 edit
    Your answers are correct ny friend
    Reveal Hidden Content
    There is no difference 26 visits are needed in both cases
  14. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 09:52
    I asked lots of people what their favourite season is:
    16 didn't choose summer,14 didn't choose Autumn,15 didn't choose winter and 12 didn't choose spring.
    How many people did I ask ?
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 10:382 edits
    @venda said
    I asked lots of people what their favourite season is:
    16 didn't choose summer,14 didn't choose Autumn,15 didn't choose winter and 12 didn't choose spring.
    How many people did I ask ?
    Reveal Hidden Content
    We have six equations with 5 unknowns:

x=a+b+c+d
    x=16+a
    x=14+b
    x=15+c
    x=12+d
    b+c+d=16

We can transform the last three equations thus:
    b=a+2
    c=a+1
    d= a+4

After substituting b,c and d in equation 1 we get x=a+a+2+a+1+a+4 or x=4a+7

and substituting in equation 6 we get 16= a+2+a+1+a+4 or 16=3a+7

leading to a=3 and x=19.

So you asked 19 people, 3 choose summer, 5 choose Autumn, 4 choose winter and 7 choose spring.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree