Halfway
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 18:00
    E?
  3. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 18:12
    E is correct if you mean the Saturn rings ...
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 04:131 edit
    Originally posted by 3v1l5w1n
    E is correct if you mean the Saturn rings ...
    Winning the gold ring! My hats off to you both!.
    How bout this one:
    D, A, D, G, A :?
  5. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 05:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Winning the gold ring! My hats off to you both!.
    How bout this one:
    D, A, D, G, A :?
    not sure if this is what you're going for, but DADGAD is a pretty famous guitar tuning called "open G tuning" so i'd suggest "D" as an end to the sequence
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Mar '09 09:344 edits
    Originally posted by Aetherael
    not sure if this is what you're going for, but DADGAD is a pretty famous guitar tuning called "open G tuning" so i'd suggest "D" as an end to the sequence
    dad be de juan! I like drop D tuning better, actually, but I did compose a tune in a very odd tuning invented by Joni Mitchell, she has used something like 50 tunings over the years, there is a site that lists all or most of her tunings and the songs connected with them. When I found the one of hers I used on my own tune 'The River' I was surprised I was actually able to come up with a nice tune based on that oddball tuning of hers. I have it on my own myspace site, I'll give you the link if you want.
    Actually, DADGAD is way different from Open G, more of a variant of Open D. D modal tuning. There are some real virtuosi of that, notably in the folk field anyway, Nick Jones, Martin Carthy, Dick Gaughan, and Martin Simpson, and Archie Fisher come to mind but used by many many players. For some reason it never clicked with me, I use drop D, open G, open D, and open C and regular tunings mostly, and the one piece with that opening I don't even know what catagory to put it in, by Joni Mitchell.
  7. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '09 01:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    dad be de juan! I like drop D tuning better, actually, but I did compose a tune in a very odd tuning invented by Joni Mitchell, she has used something like 50 tunings over the years, there is a site that lists all or most of her tunings and the songs connected with them. When I found the one of hers I used on my own tune 'The River' I was surprised I was ac ...[text shortened]... one piece with that opening I don't even know what catagory to put it in, by Joni Mitchell.
    nice... i should have realized it wasn't open-G, just cause it should have B's instead of A's for a G major chord. My favorite tunings are drop-D, double-drop-D (tune both E's down to D) and open D tuning is pretty great too. i also love EADGAD and (if playing angel's son by sevendust..) DADGCD is pretty cool!
  8. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    06 Mar '09 02:49
    nice... i should have realized it wasn't open-G, just cause it should have B's instead of A's for a G major chord. My favorite tunings are drop-D, double-drop-D (tune both E's down to D) and open D tuning is pretty great too. i also love EADGAD and (if playing angel's son by sevendust..) DADGCD is pretty cool!
    Try mine, DADGBC, it will blow you away. Fun times on this tuning.
  9. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '09 07:052 edits
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Try mine, DADGBC, it will blow you away. Fun times on this tuning.
    i'll bring us back on topic at the end of this post... but if you don't mind my asking, what kind of voicings do you like in that tuning? before playing it i imagine that the standard barred open fifths will apply from normal drop-D, but that GBC won't easily be left open by itself without seeming rather "forcibly dissonant?" unless maybe you let the high E ring out, or hold it two frets above the bar for a "fifth on top" voicing? (i.e. 5-5-5-0-0-7 for example will be a pretty standard G major) i'd love to hear your thoughts on how you use DADGBC.

i love DADGAD and EADGAD for big open "ringy" acoustic chords that have a pretty fat power chord bottom. lots of nice 2nds (9ths) and 7ths fall naturally into standard chord structures as a result of the tuned down B string and E string, without the drawback of the notes being "out of place" provided you play in a key somewhat natural to the tuning.

and now a puzzle.

next letter in the following sequence: H, A, S, O, A, M, N, __ ?
  10. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    07 Mar '09 01:401 edit
    i'll bring us back on topic at the end of this post... but if you don't mind my asking, what kind of voicings do you like in that tuning? before playing it i imagine that the standard barred open fifths will apply from normal drop-D, but that GBC won't easily be left open by itself without seeming rather "forcibly dissonant?" unless maybe you let the hi d now a puzzle.

next letter in the following sequence: H, A, S, O, A, M, N, __ ?
    I play most of it between the third and 5th fret. It matches up well with drop D for me because I use alot of the guitar, and no capo. The freedom of the pinky finger on or off of the high e (in this case in c) gives a very distinct sound. I currently have 2 songs we play regularly where I use this tuning. It also sounds cool on stage changing the tuning. People watching who know a little about guitar are confused. I see that "what in the world is he doing" look on ther faces 😛 Then they enjoy the tune.

It also allows me to play some intersting variations of even basic chords als.o

Play around with it, it's interesting, you'll find some cool stuff.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 17:54
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    I play most of it between the third and 5th fret. It matches up well with drop D for me because I use alot of the guitar, and no capo. The freedom of the pinky finger on or off of the high e (in this case in c) gives a very distinct sound. I currently have 2 songs we play regularly where I use this tuning. It also sounds cool on stage changing the tuning ...[text shortened]... en basic chords als.o

Play around with it, it's interesting, you'll find some cool stuff.
    Do either one of you have something on myspace or something where we can hear what you are about musically? Just to know about several tunings says you are really into guitar, I am curious what you both sound like, for instance, do you write your own tunes and stuff or are you still in the play covers' stage?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree