1. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 14:30
    You are standing on the equator. If you now begin to move in the north-west direction and continue to do so, where will you end up (arrive)?

2. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 14:37
    Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
    You are standing on the equator. If you now begin to move in the north-west direction and continue to do so, where will you end up (arrive)?

Depends, no? Where do you begin? Can you walk on water? You will end up on the equator eventually, but I think you will not cross the north pole, if that is what you mean.
  3. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 14:392 edits
    Originally posted by piderman
    Depends, no? Where do you begin? Can you walk on water? You will end up on the equator eventually, but I think you will not cross the north pole, if that is what you mean.
    Yeah, assume the oceans are not a problem and that we can always travel NW.

You begin on the equator, like I said.

4. Joined
    06 Aug '03
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 15:23
    Yeah, assume the oceans are not a problem and that we can always travel NW.

You begin on the equator, like I said.

NW in a straight line from you're start point or do you take a line that corrects for the fact as you move so will the direction of NW? In the later case you'll spiral in on the north pole but never hit it I think....

5. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 15:31
    Hmmmm, are we talking true northwest, grid northwest, or magnetic northwest?
  6. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 15:57
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    Hmmmm, are we talking true northwest, grid northwest, or magnetic northwest?
    I didn't realize there were so many north-wests.

Not magnetic north-west.

What is the difference between the other two?

7. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 15:58
    Originally posted by Simonm
    NW in a straight line from you're start point or do you take a line that corrects for the fact as you move so will the direction of NW? In the later case you'll spiral in on the north pole but never hit it I think....

The second. You are partly right.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 19:421 edit
    Well, assuming you remain on the surface of the earth (you don't leave the planet or burrow into it), it would seem to me that if you keep going North and West, you will eventually run out of North to go (and west I suppose), having arrived at the pole. Every direction will be south at that point.
  9. Joined
    06 Aug '03
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 21:45
    The second. You are partly right.
    how only partly?

In theory you'd never actually reach the pole as you would always be heading at a 45 degree angle from it, though in practice you would reach it.....
  10. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 01:17
    Originally posted by Simonm
    how only partly?

In theory you'd never actually reach the pole as you would always be heading at a 45 degree angle from it, though in practice you would reach it.....
    Because the arc length of the curve (a loxodrome) is finite and equal to square root of 2 times the distance of equator from pole.
    (Of course, we are assuming that the earth is perfectly spherical and that 'you' are a point.)

11. Standard memberOtis
    Lucky Patzer
    Ohio University
    Moves
    18 Jun '04 06:401 edit
    Well since the Earth is really flat and not spherical. Heading in a North West direction from the equator you would either drown in the ocean but if you didn't drown you would fall of Earth.
  12. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    19 Jun '04 10:12
    I didn't realize there were so many north-wests.

Not magnetic north-west.

What is the difference between the other two?

Well, actually the terms used in the military are true north, grid north, and magnetic north, although I'm sure that there is a true, grid, and magnetic for any other direction.

Anyways, magnetic north reading you would get from a magnetic compass, grid north is the norrthern direction as read from a map, and true north is the actual direction, as applied to the physical world.
  13. Standard memberopsoccergurl11
    rockin soccer kid
    over there
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 03:02
    do we conclude that you do stay on the surface of the earth?
  14. Joined
    29 Feb '04
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 06:14
    Originally posted by opsoccergurl11
    do we conclude that you do stay on the surface of the earth?
    I believe that is an assumption, not a conclusion.
  15. Standard memberopsoccergurl11
    rockin soccer kid
    over there
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 18:17
    ok

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree