Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    13 Mar '12 16:44 / 1 edit
    What is the significance of this ratio: 1.7333333333 to 1? It might be better expressed as a partial fraction: 1.7 1/3......If we can mix metaphors....

    Hats off to anyone who figures it out.
  2. Standard member forkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    13 Mar '12 21:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is the significance of this ratio: 1.7333333333 to 1? It might be better expressed as a partial fraction: 1.7 1/3......If we can mix metaphors....

    Hats off to anyone who figures it out.
    It is the the number of cards in a deck for each day in April.
  3. 15 Mar '12 13:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is the significance of this ratio: 1.7333333333 to 1? It might be better expressed as a partial fraction: 1.7 1/3......If we can mix metaphors....

    Hats off to anyone who figures it out.
    It's the number of weeks per year, rounded off, to the number of days per month, also rounded off. Given the amount of rounding off, that accounts for nothing.

    Richard
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Mar '12 04:35
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    It's the number of weeks per year, rounded off, to the number of days per month, also rounded off. Given the amount of rounding off, that accounts for nothing.

    Richard
    Sorry, but it is about something physical.
  5. 17 Mar '12 07:06
    Hmm.. could it be the ratio of turntable speeds between a '78' record and a '45'?
  6. 17 Mar '12 13:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Sorry, but it is about something physical.
    The year is something physical. Ok, the week is not.

    The ratio is 26/15. Or is you wish, 52/30, or 5.2/3. I can't think of anything significant and physical to which that ratio is applicable.

    Richard
  7. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 Mar '12 00:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Nybes
    Hmm.. could it be the ratio of turntable speeds between a '78' record and a '45'?
    Hats off to you! I found that ratio when I realized I had some old 78's but the record player has only 45 and 33 speed. So I thought of a way to do it, using Sonar DAW software, play it at 45 and then record that slow version into Sonar and it has a speed varying function that can bring it up to 78 speed, I did the math and found that ratio. Now that I think about it, it may not work right, I think it does pitch changes, not sure about speed changes, it might do that too, would need both for that project.

    How did you figure it out? You have old records?
  8. Standard member forkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    19 Mar '12 18:46 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Hats off to you! I found that ratio when I realized I had some old 78's but the record player has only 45 and 33 speed. So I thought of a way to do it, using Sonar DAW software, play it at 45 and then record that slow version into Sonar and it has a speed varying function that can bring it up to 78 speed, I did the math and found that ratio. Now that I thin ...[text shortened]... that too, would need both for that project.

    How did you figure it out? You have old records?
    There's not much math there, 78/45 = 1.733...
  9. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Mar '12 00:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    There's not much math there, 78/45 = 1.733...
    Yes but what led you to that particular set of numbers? I mean any multiple has the same ratio, 156:90 1560:900, etc.
  10. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    26 Mar '12 14:32
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    There's not much math there, 78/45 = 1.733...
    In fact 26/15 would represent the smallest numbers for the fraction.
  11. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    30 Mar '12 00:05
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    In fact 26/15 would represent the smallest numbers for the fraction.
    More precisely, whole numbers. You could have 13/7.5.....