1. Donationlegionnaire
    Free Thinker
    New York City
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 03:10
    I took your suggestion and looked it up. Without being able to say definitively, it would appear as if this is a problem that has not yet been solved. Oddly enough, between several of the websites that I came across, the number of estimated possible positions varied by over 80 orders of magnitude!!! The highest that I saw was 10^120 (10 to the 120th power) but I believe that does not take into account rules of the game and some of the other constraints that we've already addressed in this thread. Most other estimates were in the 10^43-10^49 range, which is still a very wide range of possible positions.

Any else have better luck pinning down an exact number?

-mike
  2. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 03:22
    Not really Mike, nope. I came across the following:-

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Chess.html

http://www.semaphorecorp.com/chess/chron008.txt

http://www.mathematik.uni-bielefeld.de/~sillke/SEQUENCES/series014

Just to give some kind of idea on the size of number that is being talked about...the number of atoms in the universe is thought to be around 10^80 (correct me if this is wrong)

More on that here: http://pages.prodigy.net/jhonig/bignum/qauniver.html

T1000
  3. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 12:43
    Just to give some kind of idea on the size of number that is being talked about...the number of atoms in the universe is thought to be around 10^80 (correct me if this is wrong)
    This is often quoted when people are talking about large numbers. And I don't know why.
    Perhaps it is because peple think that this is the largest number that really "exists" in our universe or something like that. Or perhaps people want to show with this fact that it makes no sense talking about so high numbers.
    But in fact the opposite is right: It just shows that there is nothing special about a=#{x|x atom in our universe}, because there are even higher numbers that describe facts we may understand (bad example, because too smal: the number of different chess positions...)
  4. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 15:19
    Originally posted by thire
    This is often quoted when people are talking about large numbers. And I don't know why.
    Perhaps it is because peple think that this is the largest number that really "exists" in our universe or something like that. Or perhaps people want to show with this fact that it makes no sense talking about so high numbers.
    But in fact the opposite is right: It just ...[text shortened]... ts we may understand (bad example, because too smal: the number of different chess positions...)
    At the same time, I think it's reckoned by psychologists that we only have an instinctive 'feel' for the numbers 1 to about 5. If you want really big numbers, try the following:

Let F1,F2,F3... be functions with the following properties:
    F1(x) = x + 1
    Fn(x) = F(n-1)^x(x), where '^x' means 'compose the function with itself x times'

If you see nothing distressing about these functions, how about this one:
    G(x) = Fx(x).

G(1) = 2
    G(2) = 4
    G(3) = 24

Now work out G(4) and G(5) 🙄
  5. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 16:44
    Point taken. Psychologically, I would say that the largest number a person has a real "feel" for is the largest number such that when they look at a collection of that many small enough objects, they can tell immediately how many there are. So probably about 20 is typical. People don't generally bear in mind that counting POSSIBILITIES almost always leads to numbers astronomically larger than numbers obtained by counting things (even "astronomically larger" is the wrong phrase there, based as it is on counting distance, or stars, or something...). Also, it is always very irksome the way people interchange "very large" and "infinite". To most people, "infinity" begins at about 3000 (about the number of stars readily visible on a clear night) 😉.
  6. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 17:57
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    So probably about 20 is typical.
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    At the same time, I think it's reckoned by psychologists that we only have an instinctive 'feel' for the numbers 1 to about 5.
    I think Acolyte is right: when your pack of cigarettes is at about halft empty - you don't count the cigaretts to know how many are left? People use their fingers when counting, ... I guess five is the upper bound...
    Now work out G(4) and G(5) 🙄

The smiliy there is very well chosen!
  7. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 17:591 edit
    Point taken.
    I'd say after Gödel we know that natural numbers have nothing to do with our fingers nor stars nor elements in the universe... 😛
  8. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 20:46
    I would agree. In a similar vein, I am also of the belief that mathematical statements etc. are discovered, not invented. However, I still maintain that larger numbers are indelibly etched in our psyches (then again, maybe I should just admit to myself that nobody else involuntarily and instinctively finds prime factorizations of licence plates on cars 😉).
  9. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    24 Jan '03 20:49

I think Acolyte is right: when your pack of cigarettes is at about halft empty - you don't count the cigaretts to know how many are left? People use their fingers when counting, ... I guess five is the upper bound...
    Sorry, I don't smoke 😉. I think this is all a matter of how used to dicking around with numbers one is. The star bit was a joke. Specifically, I was making fun of certain poets.
  10. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    02 Feb '03 18:59
    There are positions which are not breaking any rules but they are not possible (example: startposition, but the white queen on the black's place.)
    so the problem is much much more comlicated if we want to figure out the nuber os different positions which may be result (one time) of a chess game.
  11. Donationlegionnaire
    Free Thinker
    New York City
    Moves
    09 Feb '03 03:06
    There are positions which are not breaking any rules but they are not possible (example: startposition, but the white queen on the black's place.)
    so the problem is much much more comlicated if we want to figure out the nuber os different positions which may be result (one time) of a chess game.
    Yes, that was the idea. I was hoping to see if we could figure out the total number of legal positions that could result from legitimate play in a chess game. And you're right, it's absurdly complicated to try and figure it out.

-mike
  12. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    09 Feb '03 03:181 edit
    Sorry, I don't smoke 😉. I think this is all a matter of how used to dicking around with numbers one is. The star bit was a joke. Specifically, I was making fun of certain poets.
    I was referring to what limited 'hard-wired' number sense we have, eg there is evidence to show that most 6-month-old infants believe that 1+1 does not equal 3 (although the proof that they're right is apparently far from simple 🙄)
  13. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    09 Feb '03 20:04
    Originally posted by sintubin
    didn't you mix powers and multiplication?
    yeah-it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to early for me...i think that the powers should actually be multiplications...
  14. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    09 Feb '03 23:34
    I was referring to what limited 'hard-wired' number sense we have, eg there is evidence to show that most 6-month-old infants believe that 1+1 does not equal 3 (although the proof that they're right is apparently far from simple 🙄)
    Possibly we should listen to what thire said Goedel said. Because the 'hard-wired number sense' of which you speak is certainly very real, but I think it is very fundamental in that it manifests itslef through actual counting of physical objects, etc. otherwise, it would be meaningless to 6-month-olds, because the number sense of which I speak is the abstract, less fundamental type, which I think is rooted in some kind of communication, and, as such, is not possessed by infants. The difference between the two is that anyone can mentally tell you that 4927/379 = 13 (the time varies from person to person, but anyone with an abstract notion of numbers can do it). However, no one that I've heard of can determine, at sight, how many objects there are in a pile beyond maybe 20 or 30. So we need to go to slightly bigger numbers to differentiate between the two manifestations of number sense. which is probably why we wondered about the number of ways of playing a game of chess anyway.
  15. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    19 Nov '03 03:39
    BUMP for BBG's benefit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree