1. Standard memberBarefootChessPlayer
    Barefoot Chessplayer
    central usa
    Moves
    27 Nov '03 23:29
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    [parts omitted]
    However, I still maintain that larger numbers are indelibly etched in our psyches (then again, maybe I should just admit to myself that nobody else involuntarily and instinctively finds prime factorizations of licence plates on cars 😉).
    you aren't the only one!
    i do this all the time too--without using a calculator!
    i often do it with (seven-digit) telephone numbers also, but often get bored before completing the task. (i've learned some "shortcuts" to clear out some of the early primes quickly.)
    but i'll bet i am the only one who has invented a hexadecimal sysem using sixteen new "digits" (plus all the higher order numbers) with different names and appearances, and can count in this every bit as fast as most people can in decimal!
  2. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    27 Nov '03 23:44
    Originally posted by sintubin
    there are probably ways to reduce this maximum drastically (bishops can only be on half the squares etc....). But first there are a
    few things that make the maximum greater:

- it makes a difference in position if a fysical configuration has reoccured 0, 1 ot 2 times before
    - the number of moves before without capturing or moveing pawns also affects the 'position'
    - castling still possible or not

just to name a few.

Gilbert
    is enpassant available?
  3. Joined
    17 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Nov '03 23:52
    I've often asked myself the question you present...
    There cant be an answer. Think about the number of opening move alone... There are just too many variables and circumstances to consider. It is a very good question though. I'll try to look into it. Has anyone considered asking Jeeves? lol...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree