1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Aug '10 19:401 edit
    In a kingdom in a far away galaxy the king is inventing languages. He sees other languages where symbols are read left to right like English, Russian and such and then sees languages like Hebrew read right to left.
    He will have none of this. He calls for his smartest people to invent a palindromic language which has the same meaning in both directions but allows normal conversation, like 'hello, how are you' I'm fine, just have a fever; yourself?'

Is a palindromic language possible? We can make examples with English but maybe you can make up your own symbols too, just have to be the same meaning and the same sequence of letters as read from left to right or vice versa.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '10 22:091 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In a kingdom in a far away galaxy the king is inventing languages. He sees other languages where symbols are read left to right like English, Russian and such and then sees languages like Hebrew read right to left.
    He will have none of this. He calls for his smartest people to invent a palindromic language which has the same meaning in both directions but the same meaning and the same sequence of letters as read from left to right or vice versa.
    Yes, it is possiblelbissop si ti ,seY
    Just write the same message from left to right and from right to leftfel ot thgir morf thgir ot tfel morf egassem emas eht etirw tsuJ
    Half is readable, the rest looks rubbishsibbur skool tser eht ,elbadaer si flaH
    This language is truly palindromicimodrnilap ylurt si egaugnal sihT
  3. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    15 Aug '10 07:26
    Was it a rat I saw?
    Step on no pets!
    A man, a plan, a canal : Panama!
  4. Joined
    24 Jan '09
    Moves
    15 Aug '10 13:48
    go hang a salami! im a lasagna hog!
    (i no it makes no sense)
    was it a car or a cat i saw?
    Ed i saw Harpo marx ram oprah w aside
    Do gesse see god
    Wont lovers revolt now
    Race fast safe car!

try weird als "Bob" for palindromes in song
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Aug '10 04:22
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Was it a rat I saw?
    Step on no pets!
    A man, a plan, a canal : Panama!
    That last one is my favorite, actually. But can you have a language that is not just backwards like the ones previous poster mentioned? That would just double the length of the passages. How about a language that is the same rough length in terms of # of letters or symbols used to generate a thought but still be palandromic.

Nice thought though.
  6. ALG
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 19:451 edit
    Do you mean a language in which you would only need to buy half a book? (You can read the other half backwards.)

No, that isn't possible. How are you going to construct a language in which the following three sentences are palindromic:

I eat an apple every day. ( I, to eat, apple, every day)
    I eat a banana every day. (I, to eat, banana, every day)
    Tomorrow, I will eat an apple. (I, to eat, apple, tomorrow)

Let's make the first sentence palindromic. Now either take away the apple and replace it with a banana, or take away every day to replace it with tomorrow.
    Impossible. Even these three sentences will be hard, if you succeed at all. And there are many more combinations.
  7. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    07 Sep '10 23:362 edits
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    Do you mean a language in which you would only need to buy half a book? (You can read the other half backwards.)

No, that isn't possible. How are you going to construct a language in which the following three sentences are palindromic:

I eat an apple every day. ( I, to eat, apple, every day)
    I eat a banana every day. (I, to eat, banana, every day)
    ese three sentences will be hard, if you succeed at all. And there are many more combinations.
    Actually, you're on to something. You will have to break up sentences in specific ways, similarly how grammar outlines predicate/verb etc. The structure of a sentence would be one way going forwards and the other way going backwards.

I, to eat, banana, everyday- the sentence would be broken up through visual distinctions (commas in this case) to separate the different parts. Might run into problems depending on what sentences are actually used but I think a little creativity could do it.

As far as lettering, I think symbols would be a bit more proper for a more palindromic feel to it
  8. ALG
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 15:27
    On the other hand we could add millions of synonyms.
  9. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    08 Sep '10 15:54
    Originally posted by ua41
    Actually, you're on to something. You will have to break up sentences in specific ways, similarly how grammar outlines predicate/verb etc. The structure of a sentence would be one way going forwards and the other way going backwards.

I, to eat, banana, everyday- the sentence would be broken up through visual distinctions (commas in this case) to separate t ...[text shortened]... far as lettering, I think symbols would be a bit more proper for a more palindromic feel to it
    One symbol for every word?
    For example: I = bob, to eat = heh, a = lol, banana = pep, apple = did

I eat a banana: bob heh lol pep lol heh bob
    I eat an apple: bob heh lol did lol heh bob

To allow for single word phrases, each symbol would have to be a palindrome itself.

I don't think this is what the poster means with 'truly palindromic language'
    As said though, you'd need one tring of symbols for every single sentence you can make.
  10. ALG
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 16:28

1. I eat an apple every day. ( I, to eat, apple, every day)
    2. I eat a banana every day. (I, to eat, banana, every day)
    3. Tomorrow, I will eat an apple. (I, to eat, apple, tomorrow)
    1. I eat eilali etaei.
    2. I eat eksallask etaei.
    3. I lalietae eat eilali.
  11. ALG
    Moves
    09 Sep '10 16:30
    1. I eat eilali etaei.
    2. I eat eksallask etaei.
    3. I lalietae eat eilali.
    If it's possible to write a book in such a language, you will need a different language for every book. 😛
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 00:50
    http://www.spinelessbooks.com/2002/palindrome/index.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree