peculiarity of prime numbers.

peculiarity of prime numbers.

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
30 Jul 06
5 edits

Can someone prove why does it happen? I will use the notation
n! for the factorial of n.
If p is a prime number, then
it always divides (p - 1)! +1. But for any other (non-prime) number n,
(n - 1) ! + 1 is not necessarily ( rather never) divisible by the first prime which is greater than n.
And of course it is never divisible by n too.
Why?

T

Moves
30 Jul 06

http://primes.utm.edu/notes/proofs/Wilsons.html

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
31 Jul 06

Originally posted by sarathian
Can someone prove why does it happen? I will use the notation
n! for the factorial of n.
If p is a prime number, then
it always divides (p - 1)! +1. But for any other (non-prime) number n,
(n - 1) ! + 1 is not necessarily ( rather never) divisible by the first prime which is greater than n.
And of course it is never divisible by n too.
Why?
Let p be a prime. Then Z/pZ is a field, so without zero, Z/pZ is a group under multiplication (ie the numbers 1, 2, ... p-1 all have multiplicative inverses). (p-1)! is the product of all of the elements in this group. It's easy to show that the inverses are unique for any group, and if n^2 = 1 (mod p) for some p, then algebra shows n = +-1 (mod p). Thus 1 and p-1 are self inverse, and for each other a in the group, there exists a unique b such that ab = 1 (mod p). Thus the product cancels everything except p-1, so (p-1)! = p-1 = -1 (mod p), ie p divides (p-1)! + 1.

If for some integer n, n divides (n-1)! + 1, then n does not divide (n-1)!. If some integer m between 1 and n not inclusive divides n, then m divides (n-1)! and m divides (n-1)! + 1, a contradiction. Thus such and m cannot exist, so n is prime. Thus composite n cannot divide (n-1)!.

Suppose n is non-prime and that p is the smallest prime greater than n. Then (p-1)! = -1 (mod p). Now since 2 < n-1 < p-1, (n-1)! divides (p-1)!, so say (p-1)! = k(n-1)!. Then k(n-1)! = -1 (mod p). If p divides (n-1)! + 1, then we have k = (p-1)(p-2)...n = 1 (mod p), a clear contradiction unless n = p.

rs

H. T. & E. hte

Moves
01 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by royalchicken
Let p be a prime. Then Z/pZ is a field, so without zero, Z/pZ is a group under multiplication (ie the numbers 1, 2, ... p-1 all have multiplicative inverses). (p-1)! is the product of all of the elements in this group. It's easy to show that the inverses are unique for any group, and if n^2 = 1 (mod p) for some p, then algebra shows n = +-1 (mod p). ...[text shortened]... es (n-1)! + 1, then we have k = (p-1)(p-2)...n = 1 (mod p), a clear contradiction unless n = p.
Sorry. I am a layman . What do you mean by Z/pZ ? Doesn't a field have both multiplicative as well as additive inverses? By Z/pZ do you mean the set of compex numbers modulo p ?

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
01 Aug 06
2 edits

Originally posted by ranjan sinha
Sorry. I am a layman . What do you mean by Z/pZ ? Doesn't a field have both multiplicative as well as additive inverses? By Z/pZ do you mean the set of compex numbers modulo p ?
without 0, it's a group under multiplication. it's like the integers-they are a group under addition but not under multiplication. but Z\0 is a group under multiplication.

EDIT: do you know what groups are?...

A

Melbourne, Victoria

Moves
01 Aug 06
1 edit

Oh yeh, you're a true layman, you are!

Just a quiet nod to the true layman... don't panic, folks... he's an imposter. You're not extra stupid if you're a layman and you didn't know that 😛😵

rs

H. T. & E. hte

Moves
01 Aug 06

Originally posted by genius
without 0, it's a group under multiplication. it's like the integers-they are a group under addition but not under multiplication. but Z\0 is a group under multiplication.

yes group has only multiplicative inverse and a multiplicative identity.Each element has a unique inverse. but certainly the Z/pZ notation is greek to me.

rs

H. T. & E. hte

Moves
01 Aug 06

Originally posted by AussiePete
Oh yeh, you're a true layman, you are!

Just a quiet nod to the true layman... don't panic, folks... he's an imposter. You're not extra stupid if you're a layman and you didn't know that 😛😵
The real stupid ones are not those who don't know group theory or field theory. Rather it is those who claim to know more than they really know.

s

Moves
01 Aug 06

Originally posted by ThudanBlunder
http://primes.utm.edu/notes/proofs/Wilsons.html
I have visited the site. It proves only the first part. It does not prove the second part.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
01 Aug 06

yes group has only multiplicative inverse and a multiplicative identity.Each element has a unique inverse. but certainly the Z/pZ notation is greek to me.
i think it means and integer divided by (a prime times another (different) integer). although i'm not sure-i haven't actually read the proof...it's the summer holidays! 😛

S

Moves
01 Aug 06
1 edit

Z is the ring of integers (an integral domain, actually).

pZ is the subset of Z consisting of those integers divisible by p. Actually, pZ is an (principal) ideal in the ring Z. Therefore we can form the quotient ring

R = Z/pZ

(look up any book on abstract algebra). This ring R has p elements, and can be thought of as the set of integers with + and x done mod p. R is a field (and therefore, by definition (R,+) and (R/ { 0 } , x) are abelian groups.)

S

Moves
01 Aug 06

i think it means and integer divided by (a prime times another (different) integer). although i'm not sure-i haven't actually read the proof...it's the summer holidays! 😛
No, that's not correct. See my previous post.

S

Moves
01 Aug 06
1 edit

No you're wrong.

Z/0 cannot be a group under multplication as (say) 2 has no multiplicative inverse in Z/0.

(Edit: By Z/0 I assume you mean the set of non-zero integers?)

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
01 Aug 06

Originally posted by SPMars
No you're wrong.

Z/0 cannot be a group under multplication as (say) 2 has no multiplicative inverse in Z/0.

(Edit: By Z/0 I assume you mean the set of non-zero integers?)
touche. as i said, it's the summer holidays and i wasn't thinking. i was getting confused with the reals and doing it from memory. my bad.

also, in the notation is it not \ as opposed to / for without? / is dividing? that's what threw me. as i said, i didn't read the proof...

S

Moves
01 Aug 06

touche. as i said, it's the summer holidays and i wasn't thinking. i was getting confused with the reals and doing it from memory. my bad.

also, in the notation is it not \ as opposed to / for without? / is dividing? that's what threw me. as i said, i didn't read the proof...
It's normally a forward slash / for set complement, but it really doesn't matter. As long as people understand what you're talking about. As Gauss once said "What is needed are notions rather than notations".