1. Joined
    12 Aug '05
    Moves
    22550
    03 Jan '06 09:43
    i heard this on the radio the other day..might not work for everyone but lets give it a go..
    1. pick a number between 1 - 100
    2. with this number you have picked multiply by 9
    3. with this total add the digits together... eg total is 45 4+5 =9
    4. you should have a single digit left from this, now take away 5 from this...eg 9 - 5 =4
    5. if we said that ..1 = a , 2 = b , 3 = c , 4 = d and so on in that order convert your single number to a letter
    6. with the letter you have, think of a country beginning with that letter. e.g "f" = finland
    7. now with the name of the country, think of a animal using the last word of that country e.g finland = "d" dog...

    hopefully we have the same idea as the thread title.. : )
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    03 Jan '06 10:26
    Originally posted by cestrianlabrador
    i heard this on the radio the other day..might not work for everyone but lets give it a go..
    1. pick a number between 1 - 100
    2. with this number you have picked multiply by 9
    3. with this total add the digits together... eg total is 45 4+5 =9
    4. you should have a single digit left from this, now take away 5 from this...eg 9 - 5 =4
    5. if we ...[text shortened]... ountry e.g finland = "d" dog...

    hopefully we have the same idea as the thread title.. : )
    The whole number section is structured to give 4 as your number (n is divisible by 9 iff the sum of the digits is 9 or a multiple of 9 [which would in turn have a sum of 9].

    You therefore pick a country beginning with D. These being Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica and the Dominican Republic. Obviously the first is by far the most chosen as the others are obscure and less likely to be the first thought of. Then the matter of picking an animal starting with k. Kangaroo is a common one, probably followed by koala.

    All in all, a crappy example of choice reduction.
  3. Joined
    12 Aug '05
    Moves
    22550
    03 Jan '06 11:03
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The whole number section is structured to give 4 as your number (n is divisible by 9 iff the sum of the digits is 9 or a multiple of 9 [which would in turn have a sum of 9].

    You therefore pick a country beginning with D. These being Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica and the Dominican Republic. Obviously the first is by far the most chosen as the others are o ...[text shortened]... s a common one, probably followed by koala.

    All in all, a crappy example of choice reduction.
    says the twitchy neck person....miserable sod...
  4. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Joined
    10 May '05
    Moves
    86045
    03 Jan '06 11:06
    lol thats the way 🙂
  5. Joined
    01 May '05
    Moves
    390
    03 Jan '06 14:21
    Originally posted by cestrianlabrador
    i heard this on the radio the other day..might not work for everyone but lets give it a go..
    1. pick a number between 1 - 100
    2. with this number you have picked multiply by 9
    3. with this total add the digits together... eg total is 45 4+5 =9
    4. you should have a single digit left from this, now take away 5 from this...eg 9 - 5 =4
    5. if we ...[text shortened]... ountry e.g finland = "d" dog...

    hopefully we have the same idea as the thread title.. : )
    I picked 99.
    9*9=891
    8+9+1=18
    18-5=13?


    Remember to limit the choices to numbers from 1 to 10 when performing this trick, or else ask to add the digits repeatedly until we actually have an one digit number.
  6. Standard memberWibble Wobble
    Action barbie
    Ka-koogy
    Joined
    03 Jan '06
    Moves
    6678
    03 Jan '06 21:14
    Originally posted by fetofs
    I picked 99.
    9*9=891
    8+9+1=18
    18-5=13?


    Remember to limit the choices to numbers from 1 to [b]10
    when performing this trick, or else ask to add the digits repeatedly until we actually have an one digit number.[/b]
    9*9 = 81
  7. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    116908
    03 Jan '06 21:461 edit
    Originally posted by Wibble Wobble
    9*9 = 81
    He meant 99*9 = 891.
  8. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Joined
    17 Mar '05
    Moves
    1345
    03 Jan '06 22:19
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    All in all, a crappy example of choice reduction.
    That wasn't very nice. You didn't say this to the guy who posted the same thing a few weeks back.
  9. Eternity
    Joined
    04 Jun '05
    Moves
    3337
    06 Jan '06 23:361 edit
    Originally posted by fetofs
    I picked 99.
    9*9=891
    8+9+1=18
    18-5=13?


    Remember to limit the choices to numbers from 1 to [b]10
    when performing this trick, or else ask to add the digits repeatedly until we actually have an one digit number.[/b]
    18, 1+8=9 gives same answer anyway, what cestrian labrador should have clarified was that you have to keep going till you get a single (digit) number.
  10. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Joined
    26 May '04
    Moves
    25780
    07 Jan '06 06:55
    The fact that you planted Denmark and kangaroos in people's heads via the thread title kind of ruins the point, doesn't it?
Back to Top