1. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 07:13
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Well, yeah, diamonds are cool if you're using them for drill bits or something like that, but for jewelry - what does that matter?
    Same reason that gold is valued, it's chemically unreactive. If you get an opal or a ruby, it can chip or discolour over time. Diamond won't do that. a diamond set in gold will be the same as the day it was bought for literally thousands of years, if not more, provided the gold doesn't wear out.
    The only blemish might be grease and crap on top, easily removed by household detergents, which won't damage the ring or whatever.
    It's not a once off purchase, these things are supposed to be passed on for generations. Same with the Go set, I'm smacking them on a hard board, might drop a few of them.
    If I'm going to pimp something, I don't want a scratch on it that's not meant to be there.
  2. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 08:0729 edits
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 13:21
    Originally posted by agryson
    Same reason that gold is valued, it's chemically unreactive. If you get an opal or a ruby, it can chip or discolour over time. Diamond won't do that. a diamond set in gold will be the same as the day it was bought for literally thousands of years, if not more, provided the gold doesn't wear out.
    The only blemish might be grease and crap on top, easily remo ...[text shortened]... I'm going to pimp something, I don't want a scratch on it that's not meant to be there.
    OK, I buy it.
  4. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 00:21
    OK, I buy it.
    Diamonds are a dime a dozen compared to gold which is much more rare. People don't invest in gold because it's unreactive.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 00:38
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Diamonds are a dime a dozen compared to gold which is much more rare. People don't invest in gold because it's unreactive.
    Diamond rarity is maintained by DeBeers (sp?).
  6. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 05:05
    well said agryson.
  7. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 06:20
    I knew a guy who was so tight he stuck a piece of coal up his as and in two weeks it turned into a diamond.
  8. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 09:25
    I knew a guy who was so tight he stuck a piece of coal up his as and in two weeks it turned into a diamond.
    Ferris Bewlers Day off, nice one!

On other comments, "people don't buy gold because it's unreactive"... ok, I'll rephrase, they buy it because it's pretty and shiny and stays pretty and shiny for a very long time, almost forever in fact.

"Diamonds are a dime a dozen" apparently not or we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's true that gold is rare, but it's a metal, and can be recycled, pressed into very thin sheets etc. Diamonds, once cut, well, that's it. Diamonds as mentioned above also don't suffer from some of the disadvantages of gold, softness, wearing away etc.
  9. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 09:33
    Yeah, I'm not too happy with those guys... just one example...
    http://www.africaaction.org/docs00/sl0001.htm
    that's just Sierra Leone, lots more if you run searches.
  10. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 22:49
    Originally posted by agryson
    Ferris Bewlers Day off, nice one!

On other comments, "people don't buy gold because it's unreactive"... ok, I'll rephrase, they buy it because it's pretty and shiny and stays pretty and shiny for a very long time, almost forever in fact.

"Diamonds are a dime a dozen" apparently not or we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's true that gold is rare ...[text shortened]... so don't suffer from some of the disadvantages of gold, softness, wearing away etc.
    Why don't diamonds appreciate over the years? Why was are money once backed by gold and not diamonds? Just asking.
  11. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 23:49
    Why don't diamonds appreciate over the years? Why was are money once backed by gold and not diamonds? Just asking.
    I think (not certain, but it seems logical) that it's because diamonds can have different impurities, whereas gold could be refined (being a metal) to an accepted standard of purity (the gold standard) I think it's 98 or 99 %, there's a figure anyway. That way, a given mass of gold, to the given standard purity could easily be compared with the treasury of another country, which is not so straightforward with diamonds.
    A diamond with a dash of cobalt, compared to a diamond with a dash of sulphur are two different things. Also, diamonds do fluctuate in value, but this is a fashion thing, for instance pink diamonds and yellow diamonds, the colour coming from impurities have been fashionable at different times, changing their value.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree