Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    8208
    18 Jun '07 06:24
    Just an interesting fact. I'm not sure whether this is up to date or not, but as far as I can tell the price still stands. The world's most expensive chess set is valued at 8,830,380 USD. Take a moment to imagine how much money that actually is. Someone making somewhere in the ballpark of 50,000-100,000 USD a year would not likely make that much money in their entire life. This chess set is so loaded it's incredible. I guess it's made from a really famous jewelry company or something, and I heard one of the kings alone is worth roughly 200,000 USD. Wouldn't it rock to play chess on something like that?

    Which leads me to my proposal. Pimp out an object of your choice, and give a small description: details/features/value, etc. There's bound to be some redhotpawners out there with some fun ideas, so don't be shy.

    * Please keep it clean and polite everyone 😉
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    18 Jun '07 13:44
    Originally posted by artplayer
    Just an interesting fact. I'm not sure whether this is up to date or not, but as far as I can tell the price still stands. The world's most expensive chess set is valued at 8,830,380 USD. Take a moment to imagine how much money that actually is.
    I would like to be rich enough to be able to buy this chess set.
    If I was, however, I would put my money to more useful things.
  3. Standard memberirontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    A Stapler!
    Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    59283
    18 Jun '07 16:091 edit
    wouldnt the oldest chess set from 1000 years ago be worth more?
  4. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    8208
    19 Jun '07 18:31
    I would imagine so, but it seems like something like that would be more of a historical artifact, so it might not even have a price tag on it.

    Well, if I could pimp an object it would probably be a go set. The board would be lined with sterling silver and have a gold top. The pieces would be made out of rubies and saphires. I'd price it at roughly 20,000 USD.
  5. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    23 Jun '07 12:11
    I'd pimp out a samurai sword. It would have "NINJA" written in diamonds, rubies, sapphires and emeralds on the side of the blade. There'd be a gold WS for a pommel (West Sieeede!). When it's drawn from the scabbard the song "Bow down to a killer dat's greater den you! BOW DOWN" would play.
  6. Going where needed.
    Joined
    16 May '07
    Moves
    3366
    24 Jun '07 05:42
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'd pimp out a samurai sword. It would have "NINJA" written in diamonds, rubies, sapphires and emeralds on the side of the blade. There'd be a gold WS for a pommel (West Sieeede!). When it's drawn from the scabbard the song "Bow down to a killer dat's greater den you! BOW DOWN" would play.
    That would probably go the same for me, but I wouldn't be that fancy. I would probably want a family crest engraved in the lower part of the blade, most likely done with a burnishing pin, but I would like to get it silvered, and made from steel, so it could reflect the light into my opponent's eyes. Then I might have it made out of a lighter metal though, so if it could reflect light, I could make a smooth and efficient kill, which is actuallly what the real samurai were aiming for in their time (speed and efficiency). I would probably have a long handle, so it could be used with two hands, slightly heavier on the blade, so I could use my drophand style. Most likely the pommel would be steel as well (gold is more easily bent, about a 3 on the Mohs scale) and it would have the shape S2K (Skill to Kill). (could be gold painted though, that would be nice.)
  7. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    24 Jun '07 07:53
    Originally posted by EinsteinMind
    That would probably go the same for me, but I wouldn't be that fancy. I would probably want a family crest engraved in the lower part of the blade, most likely done with a burnishing pin, but I would like to get it silvered, and made from steel, so it could reflect the light into my opponent's eyes. Then I might have it made out of a lighter metal thoug ...[text shortened]... would have the shape S2K (Skill to Kill). (could be gold painted though, that would be nice.)
    Dude. That's not pimped out.
  8. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    7113
    24 Jun '07 12:49
    In line with the Go set line of pimped out objects... each piece is made from diamond, pure diamond for the white pieces, artificially produced black pieces doped with Iron to make them dark. The board would be solid gold, but the main surface would be a single piece of gold, doped with mercury salt to make it a dull reddish colour. The added suppleness of the gold allows indents to grow the more games you play (as should be the case with a good Go board) The grid lines would be 1mm diameter cords of carbon fibre laid into the gold.
    The bowls for the pieces of either side would be jewelled turtle shells (obviously it has to be an endangered species) and to add that extra pimped out touch...

    every time you put down a piece, the tune to funky town would play and there's a minibar built into the base of the board which can hold at least a six pack.
    Oh, and it'd have a hefty subwoofer, and pull out flatscreen tv.
  9. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52874
    27 Jun '07 04:04
    Originally posted by artplayer
    Just an interesting fact. I'm not sure whether this is up to date or not, but as far as I can tell the price still stands. The world's most expensive chess set is valued at 8,830,380 USD. Take a moment to imagine how much money that actually is. Someone making somewhere in the ballpark of 50,000-100,000 USD a year would not likely make that much money in t ...[text shortened]... e with some fun ideas, so don't be shy.

    * Please keep it clean and polite everyone 😉
    When I lived in Jerusalem, I knew this Jewish diamond cutter. He said
    Diamonds are a fantasy. That is to say, completely artificially held at a high price so the price for the set is also a fantasy. If some fool wants to pay that much, that is kind of an IQ test don't you think?
    The one who buys it automatically gets his IQ # cut in half.....
  10. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    8208
    28 Jun '07 01:14
    rocks are as good as diamonds, diamonds are just a little shinier 😉
  11. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    7113
    28 Jun '07 06:48
    Uhm, I don't think that really holds, they're the hardest material on earth, never discolour (whereas normal rocks often do since they're more chemically active than diamond) and they're really hard to get out of the earth. Best heat conductivity of any material. They've a lot going for them. Sure, if you choose to look at them just aesthetically as colourless rock you might start thinking that way, but beauty is many things. Think about it. if this chess set fell from space, most of it wouldn't even stain when it burnt up on re entry. That's gotta be worth something. That's why a person still likes diamonds over cubic zirconia, diamonds have all the stuff zirconia can't.
  12. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Joined
    19 Jan '07
    Moves
    73095
    29 Jun '07 02:45
    Originally posted by agryson
    Uhm, I don't think that really holds, they're the hardest material on earth, never discolour (whereas normal rocks often do since they're more chemically active than diamond) and they're really hard to get out of the earth. Best heat conductivity of any material. They've a lot going for them. Sure, if you choose to look at them just aesthetically as colourle ...[text shortened]... n still likes diamonds over cubic zirconia, diamonds have all the stuff zirconia can't.
    Diamonds are a scam. They are not rare, Thy do not appreciate, except those of large or rare color. If you buy a diamond ring and bring it back to the retailer 20 years later he will give you less than you paid for it.
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    30 Jun '07 04:14
    Originally posted by agryson
    Uhm, I don't think that really holds, they're the hardest material on earth, never discolour (whereas normal rocks often do since they're more chemically active than diamond) and they're really hard to get out of the earth. Best heat conductivity of any material. They've a lot going for them. Sure, if you choose to look at them just aesthetically as colourle ...[text shortened]... n still likes diamonds over cubic zirconia, diamonds have all the stuff zirconia can't.
    People like diamonds over cubic zirconia because they are expensive.
  14. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Joined
    23 Feb '07
    Moves
    7113
    30 Jun '07 10:11
    I dunno, in my books they've enough individual properties to justify their worth. Ironically, I'd value a coloured diamond less due to the impurity!
    Also, being a cultural thing, they're bound to have a slightly inflated value. Point is they have a cool and completely individual list of properties, so I value them highly. Other people may have other reasons, but they're mine. I'd love a chess or Go set that wouldn't have a mark on it if my house burnt down and collapsed on top of it.
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iViva la Hispanidad!
    tinyurl.com/y2c6j2t3
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    01 Jul '07 23:48
    Originally posted by agryson
    I dunno, in my books they've enough individual properties to justify their worth. Ironically, I'd value a coloured diamond less due to the impurity!
    Also, being a cultural thing, they're bound to have a slightly inflated value. Point is they have a cool and completely individual list of properties, so I value them highly. Other people may have other reason ...[text shortened]... Go set that wouldn't have a mark on it if my house burnt down and collapsed on top of it.
    Well, yeah, diamonds are cool if you're using them for drill bits or something like that, but for jewelry - what does that matter?
Back to Top