Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    08 Jul '06 02:43
    Werner Keym

Place the Black King, then mate in 1
    2 solutions
  2. 08 Jul '06 04:02
    Kc6 or Kc8 and 1.Qb5 or 1.Be6#; If the Black king is placed at d3, then 1.0-0-0 would have been a solution if there were a leagl previous move for Black, and since there isn't the king can't be placed there.
  3. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    08 Jul '06 04:07
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    Kc6 or Kc8 and 1.Qb5 or 1.Be6#; If the Black king is placed at d3, then 1.0-0-0 would have been a solution if there were a leagl previous move for Black, and since there isn't the king can't be placed there.
    bK@c8 doesn't work, because 1.Be6+ is not mate. Black plays 1...Kd8.

bK@c6 followed by 1.Qb5# is one solution.

The 2nd solution remains to be found.
  4. 08 Jul '06 07:03 / 3 edits
    Nothing. I thought I found a last move for black going to d3 but I was wrong.
  5. 08 Jul '06 07:56
    After checking all possible black squares for a mate in 1, I only found K@d3. Then I tried to find how this position can be achieved and wasn't successful for 10-15 mins. But then bingo:
    K@d3 is indeed correct. It's blacks turn and he checkmates on g1 right?
    The position can easily be achieved retrowise. For example: 1. Qd6-h2 Bg5-f4 2. Qg1#
  6. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    08 Jul '06 08:40
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    After checking all possible black squares for a mate in 1, I only found K@d3. Then I tried to find how this position can be achieved and wasn't successful for 10-15 mins. But then bingo:
    K@d3 is indeed correct. It's blacks turn and he checkmates on g1 right?
    The position can easily be achieved retrowise. For example: 1. Qd6-h2 Bg5-f4 2. Qg1#
    Right! With bK @ d3, it must be Black's turn to move, and mate in 1 by 1...Qg1# follows.
  7. 08 Jul '06 09:13
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Right! With bK @ d3, it must be Black's turn to move, and mate in 1 by 1...Qg1# follows.
    What I didn't expect that part of the individual solution could be who's turn to move it is, with both solutions requiring a different side on the move (k@c6 isn't mate in 1 with black to move). Is this common?
  8. 08 Jul '06 12:39
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    What I didn't expect that part of the individual solution could be who's turn to move it is, with both solutions requiring a different side on the move (k@c6 isn't mate in 1 with black to move). Is this common?
    I guess it's not, it took me a while also. But on the other hand, what are instructions for? Here it wasn't stated anywhere, who's turn it is.
  9. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    08 Jul '06 17:11
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    It's most common in mate-in-1 problems. Most of those rely on retro analysis (a simple forward mate in 1 is not usually interesting enough on its own).