1. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    31 Oct '11 08:39
    A straight wooden plank that doesn't bend at all is carried in a long that is 10 feet wide and seven feet high. At one point there is a T-crossing to a side passage five feet wide. How long can the plank be if it makes it through the crossing?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Nov '11 08:24
    Originally posted by talzamir
    A straight wooden plank that doesn't bend at all is carried in a long that is 10 feet wide and seven feet high. At one point there is a T-crossing to a side passage five feet wide. How long can the plank be if it makes it through the crossing?
    Looks like 2 triangles 10x5 with the board being the length of the hypotenuse times two, or the square root of 125 times two= 22 feet and change. That would be if the board was carried in two dimensional space. I think the third dimension of 7 feet high, btw, the 5 foot wide corridor had an unspecified height so going by the exact wording, you can't strictly use the height so would have to treat it as a two dimensional passage.
  3. Standard membertalzamir
    Art, not a Toil
    60.13N / 25.01E
    Moves
    01 Nov '11 09:071 edit
    Ah, sorry. This makes three variants:

a. The side corridor is as high as the main corridor.
    b. The side corridor is extremely high.
    c. The side corridor has a generic height h that will remain as a parameter to the plank length.

a. is as I had at first intended it but the others can be interesting too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree