1. Canada
    Moves
    29 Jan '04 16:51
    I arose at this position:
    http://stonedsteve.homestead.com/files/position.JPG
    During one of my games and I was unsure who should win.
    I just thought I'd ask some other people what their analysis of this position is.

Red = White
    Blue = Black
    White to move.

Please take a look, even if it is a short one as I cannot seem to figure it out for myself. Thank you.
  2. Joined
    26 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Jan '04 16:58
    Ireckon white wins. If he moves the rook one to the right, the bishop becomes undefendable, leaving him a rook up on material, and able to pick off the remaining pawns at leisure. After that its a matter of when rather than if.......
  3. Joined
    26 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Jan '04 17:03
    scrub that last comment....didnt study properly!
  4. Canada
    Moves
    29 Jan '04 17:05
    Originally posted by Itswidetowest
    Ireckon white wins. If he moves the rook one to the right, the bishop becomes undefendable, leaving him a rook up on material, and able to pick off the remaining pawns at leisure. After that its a matter of when rather than if.......
    Nope, wrong. It would seem as if white wins since Bishop vs Rook, right? But this is not the case. If the rook moves one to the right, the d5 pawn moves up one, protecting the bishop and giving black an even stronger grip on the position. It is quite the pickle. 😉
  5. Canada
    Moves
    29 Jan '04 17:06
    Originally posted by Itswidetowest
    scrub that last comment....didnt study properly!
    😛
  6. Standard membertejo
    a unique loser
    LIAAA
    Moves
    29 Jan '04 18:17
    I just looked at it for a split second, but I think white has best chance, but I think it will be a draw, not sure of that, because I only looked for first couple of moves. After moving b4- Kd6, b5 - Kc5 (moving bishop will lose pawn at g), b6 - Kxb6, Rxd5 - Kc6 probably, Rd3 - Bf4 (just an opportuntiy) will be a draw I think.
  7. Canada
    Moves
    29 Jan '04 23:25
    Originally posted by tejo
    I just looked at it for a split second, but I think white has best chance, but I think it will be a draw, not sure of that, because I only looked for first couple of moves. After moving b4- Kd6, b5 - Kc5 (moving bishop will lose pawn at g), b6 - Kxb6, Rxd5 - Kc6 probably, Rd3 - Bf4 (just an opportuntiy) will be a draw I think.
    Kd6 is not what black does. After b4 black replies d4, b5 - Kd4 and now what is white to do? If he moves the rook to protect the pawn, blacks d4 pawn will start to advance and will then be unstoppable. I was playing white and was quite frusterated when I lost as I thought that I had the winning position.
  8. Canada
    Moves
    01 Feb '04 23:49
    Anyone else? 😳

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree