Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    05 Feb '08 19:35


    Play out a legal game that reaches this position after White's 17th move.

    Composer's name will be given after solution is posted.
  2. 15 Feb '08 09:41
    That was not an easy one.

    1.h4 b5 2.h5 b4 3.h6 b3 4.hxg7 bax2 5.gxh8=R (f7 and g7 need to be available for the black king) axb1=R (idem for white king to d2 and c2) 6.Ra4 d5 7.Rah4 d4 8.f4 d3 9.Nf3 dxe2 10.d4 f6 11.Kd2 e1=R 12.Ba6 Kf7 13.c4 Kg7 14.Kc2 Kxh8 15.Kxb1 Bf5+ 16.Ka1 Nd7 17.Rxe1.
  3. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    15 Feb '08 18:08
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    That was not an easy one.

    1.h4 b5 2.h5 b4 3.h6 b3 4.hxg7 bax2 5.gxh8=R (f7 and g7 need to be available for the black king) axb1=R (idem for white king to d2 and c2) 6.Ra4 d5 7.Rah4 d4 8.f4 d3 9.Nf3 dxe2 10.d4 f6 11.Kd2 e1=R 12.Ba6 Kf7 13.c4 Kg7 14.Kc2 Kxh8 15.Kxb1 Bf5+ 16.Ka1 Nd7 17.Rxe1.
    Well done.

    This problem shows the task of 3 Rook Schnoebelens. [The Schnoebelen theme is a promoted piece that is captured without moving]. It is a difficult theme to compose - one must explain why the pawns must promote, rather than just sit and be captured.

    Composer is Unto Heinonen.
  4. 18 Feb '08 13:21
    Got any other? I don't have the time to look some up but now and then I love to bite in one.
  5. 18 Feb '08 16:24
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Well done.

    This problem shows the task of 3 Rook Schnoebelens. [The Schnoebelen theme is a promoted piece that is captured without moving]. It is a difficult theme to compose - one must explain why the pawns must promote, rather than just sit and be captured.

    Composer is Unto Heinonen.
    One must also explain why the pawns must promote to specific pieces. Only possible reason is to prevent check.
  6. 18 Feb '08 18:44
    Originally posted by David113
    One must also explain why the pawns must promote to specific pieces. Only possible reason is to prevent check.
    that's what I did, no?
  7. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    18 Feb '08 19:24
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    that's what I did, no?
    I think he meant that the composer must do this, since his post was a reply to my post about the difficulty of composing a problem with this theme.
  8. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    18 Feb '08 19:28
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Got any other? I don't have the time to look some up but now and then I love to bite in one.
    I'll post another one shortly.