Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Court Jester
    lacking discretion
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    124836
    10 May '05 21:461 edit
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    The only possibility for that is that the white king goes to the g-file before the h-pawn has taken the rook on g3.
    Not true. There is another possibility.
  2. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    38010
    10 May '05 21:55
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Not true. There is another possibility.
    To be sure we are talking about the same thing: after the black knight moved (once , twice, three times), the white bishop was taken of f6, AND the rook was taken on g3, how can the king still move to the g-file from the f-file?
  3. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Court Jester
    lacking discretion
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    124836
    10 May '05 22:09
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    To be sure we are talking about the same thing: after the black knight moved (once , twice, three times), the white bishop was taken of f6, AND the rook was taken on g3, how can the king still move to the g-file from the f-file?
    There is a way...keep looking...it's right in front of you!
  4. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    38010
    10 May '05 22:20
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    There is a way...keep looking...it's right in front of you!
    I am sure someone will find it. I'm off.
  5. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    11 May '05 13:06
    So basically what BigDoggProblem is saying (correct me if I am wrong) is that the White king goes through g4 to h1! Hopefully I will free some time later and try to find possible sequence of Black moves allowing that.
  6. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    38010
    11 May '05 16:19
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    So basically what BigDoggProblem is saying (correct me if I am wrong) is that the White king goes through g4 to h1! Hopefully I will free some time later and try to find possible sequence of Black moves allowing that.
    It is clear that the king has to go to h1 via the g-file, and infront of his pawns. But what worries me is his reply on my question "To be sure we are talking about the same thing: after the black knight moved (once , twice, three times), the white bishop was taken of f6, AND the rook was taken on g3, how can the king still move to the g-file from the f-file" . I just don't see that happen! That's why I stopped searching.
  7. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Court Jester
    lacking discretion
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    124836
    11 May '05 16:401 edit
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    So basically what BigDoggProblem is saying (correct me if I am wrong) is that the White king goes through g4 to h1! Hopefully I will free some time later and try to find possible sequence of Black moves allowing that.
    If the black N moves once, it is either threatening g4 or it occupies g4 for the rest of the game. Therefore, the wK can't go through g4.
  8. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    38010
    11 May '05 16:45
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    If the black N moves once, it is either threatening g4 or it occupies g4 for the rest of the game. Therefore, the wK can't go through g4.
    So, why did you answer "There is a way...keep looking...it's right in front of you!" on my very explicit question about this?
  9. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    11 May '05 19:02
    I believe Black's first three moves should be
    1.b3 c5 (freeing the d8-a5 diagonal) 2.Bb2 Nc6 3.Bf6 gxf6
    The only evidence I can provide is the fact that there is no way to alter the order of the moves which should be fulfilled for such problems.
    As for the route of the White king:
    I am convinced that the king must travel to h5.A possible route d2 - d3 -e4 -g3 -h4 -h5, so that after White captures at g3 (the Black Knight is at a5 already) the Rook can go via h4 to a4 and a3.
    What is problematic in this respect is the next few White moves (fourth and fifth to be precise).

  10. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Court Jester
    lacking discretion
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    124836
    11 May '05 19:39
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    So, why did you answer "There is a way...keep looking...it's right in front of you!" on my very explicit question about this?
    Because there is a way, but it's not through g4.
  11. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Court Jester
    lacking discretion
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    124836
    11 May '05 19:42
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    I believe Black's first three moves should be
    1.b3 c5 (freeing the d8-a5 diagonal) 2.Bb2 Nc6 3.Bf6 gxf6
    The only evidence I can provide is the fact that there is no way to alter the order of the moves which should be fulfilled for such problems.
    As for the route of the White king:
    I am convinced that the king must travel to h5.A possible route d2 - ...[text shortened]... s problematic in this respect is the next few White moves (fourth and fifth to be precise).

    After 1...c5, bRa8 can no longer reach d5 in two moves.
  12. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    38010
    11 May '05 21:06
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Because there is a way, but it's not through g4.
    Not via g4, nor via g3 (i.e. before the hxg3 as I formulated it) , as Thud and Blunder replied earlier on. I will be watching with interest what magic path is found.
  13. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    12 May '05 07:04
    I spent the entire night trying to find a way, and I couldn't.
    I shall summarize my failures for anyone that is willing to continue:
    It is clear that White's first three moves are 1.b3 2.Bb2 3.Bf6
    What can Black's first three moves be?
    1...Nc6 is impossible; 1...a5 2...Nh6 seems to be too slow.
    So the only possible options I could see (and thus had to focus on)
    1...a5 2...h5 3...gxf6 and 1...Nh(f)6 2...Ng4 3...gxf6
    Since what has already been mention the decisive point is the journey of the White king to h1, the only possible route is through g3-h3 (and then h2-g1 so that the Rook may go from h4 to a4 and a3. The only problem here is that I could not find enough spare moves for Black 🙁
    For the sequence of Black's moves. The bishop is sacrificed on e3 befor the rook on g3. The Black king's journey is most probably through g7 and takes place with White king's journey (Black may be even castling?!)
    a4 is followed by Ra5-Rd5 then c5.
    So what I tried was:
    1...h5 2...a5 3...gxf6 4.Nf3 Bh6 5.~ Be3 6.dxe Kf8 7.Kd2 Kg7 8.Kd3 Kg6 9.Ke4 Nh6 10.Kf4 Rg8 11.Kg3 Kf5+ 12.Kh3 Rg3+ 13.hxg3 and Black has run out of useful moves.
    May it be that the board is reversed?!
  14. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    Court Jester
    lacking discretion
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    124836
    12 May '05 16:43
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    Since what has already been mention the decisive point is the journey of the White king to h1, the only possible route is through g3-h3...
    Not so! There is another possible route.

    Also, this isn't a trick problem. The board is oriented normally, with White at bottom.
  15. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    7797
    12 May '05 20:49
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Not so! There is another possible route.

    Also, this isn't a trick problem. The board is oriented normally, with White at bottom.
    Let me get this straight:
    1)Castling kingside is impossible due to the bishop at f1.
    2)The pawn at f2 blocks the path through f2-g1-h1
    Where could the White king move through?
    Are we missing something obvious?
Back to Top