1. back in business
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 11:37
    yesterday í noticed something:

lets imagine following scenario: white checks black king with his queen so that no black piece can capture that queen. after black moves, can white somehow check black again? Is it possible in every legal situation and position?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 11:47
    I think that if the queen captured a piece, there's the possibiliy of pinning itself so that it can't move to the square where the king was.
  3. back in business
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 11:54
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I think that if the queen captured a piece, there's the possibiliy of pinning itself so that it can't move to the square where the king was.

lets imagine following scenario: white checks black king with his queen (without capturing any enemy piece) so that no black piece can capture that queen. after black moves, can white somehow check black again? Is it possible in every legal situation and position?
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 12:061 edit
    No, the queen could check and block check at the same time.

White king checked, queen blocks check and checks black king with the same move. Black king moves, but the queen is pinned.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you wrote that no black piece is able to capture the queen (therefore no blocking is possible).

BUT, when the black king moves it can be discovered check. 🙂
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 13:31
    Actually, I was wrong. If it's discovered check than the queen can block and check. Maybe I should shut up and leave this for the pros. 😛
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 15:56
    Originally posted by Jusuh

lets imagine following scenario: white checks black king with his queen (without capturing any enemy piece) so that no black piece can capture that queen. after black moves, can white somehow check black again? Is it possible in every legal situation and position?
    It is not always possible.

White has just played Qa3+. If Black responds with ...Ra6+, he prevents the white Queen from checking a 2nd time.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 15:59
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Actually, I was wrong. If it's discovered check than the queen can block and check. Maybe I should shut up and leave this for the pros. 😛
    You were not wrong.

White has just played Qe3-b3+. If Black answers with ...Kc7+, the white Queen can't move to resolve the check and check black again.
  8. back in business
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 16:52
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You were not wrong.

[fen]b7/1k6/8/8/8/rQ3K2/8/8 w[/fen]

White has just played Qe3-b3+. If Black answers with ...Kc7+, the white Queen can't move to resolve the check and check black again.
    note that original question included "no piece can capture that queen".

anyway first diagram is good.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Apr '05 17:20
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    note that original question included "no piece can capture that queen".

anyway first diagram is good.
    You're right; for some reason I forgot that part of the stip on the 2nd position. However, it's not hard to fix:

Last move: Qf5-e5+. Any legal black King move can't be answered by a wQ check.
  10. Dublin
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 14:43
    You're right; for some reason I forgot that part of the stip on the 2nd position. However, it's not hard to fix:

[fen]3b4/4k3/8/2r1Q1K1/8/B7/8/8 w[/fen]
    You can just move the queen to d5 or f5, depending on where the king goes, with check, can't you?
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Apr '05 14:45
    No, because the bishop is checking the king...
  12. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    23 Apr '05 14:57

[fen]3b4/4k3/8/2r1Q1K1/8/B7/8/8 w[/fen]
    Are the black rook and white bishop actually required for that to be the case?
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Apr '05 18:511 edit
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Are the black rook and white bishop actually required for that to be the case?
    Yes. The white Queen must be pinned to prevent her from blocking and counter-checking, and one of the stipulated conditions was that no black piece can capture the white Queen.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree