1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 15:361 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    We try with one molecule of water. Is this ice? No, we can all agree that there is no meaning talking about one molecule of ice.

The fun starts when we try two molecules of water to see if it can be considered as ice.

How do we attach the two molecules together?
    Where do we have them to begin with? In some ind of vacuum not to be disturbed by othe really interesting. It' will be a future topic to discuss over a beer with some good friends.
    I use DI water in our cleanroom, we have a facility that makes DI water from street water, a very large system of filters, Reverse Osmosis pumped filters and active ionization filters, the ultimate restistance of DI (De-ionized water) is about 18 megohms/sq. Cm, the standard measure for DI water.
    That is water that has extremely little in it besides H20, no H+, O+, or much of anything else besides H20. So you have these mickey mouse ear shaped molecules, polarized because of the angle of the dangle and then as it starts to freeze, they must somehow pop out a bit to lower its density so ice can float. So I am thinking there has to be enough molecules in a 3 dimensional grouping for this state to appear. How many though, I don't know. I would bet money on it being a lot smaller a number of molecules than the 10^6 mentioned.
    Found this article online from 1999 about the subject of the structure of ice, very informative, it says, among many other things, that there were 10,000 scientific papers written about ice in that year alone. So it's a big subject for sure. However it did not address my question of the minimum amount of water molecules needed for it to be called ice.
    http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9902/Schulson-9902.html
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 16:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That is water that has extremely little in it besides H20, no H+, O+, or much of anything else besides H20.
    I didn't mention anything about O+. I said that water always is a blend of H2O, and a fraction of H+ and OH-. It sometimes happen that H2O brakes up and reconstructed back into H2O. This has nothing to do with purity. That's how water behaves. Quite natural.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 17:07
    one molecule of ice?

Every heard of the Zen question? What is the sound of one hand clapping?

🙂
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 17:47
    I use DI water in our cleanroom, we have a facility that makes DI water from street water, a very large system of filters, Reverse Osmosis pumped filters and active ionization filters, the ultimate restistance of DI (De-ionized water) is about 18 megohms/sq. Cm, the standard measure for DI water.
    That is water that has extremely little in it besides H20, n ...[text shortened]... needed for it to be called ice.
    http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9902/Schulson-9902.html
    How can you distil the H+ (shouldnt that be H3O+ ??) and OH- out of water? Isnt that a natural phenomenon?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 17:52
    We try with one molecule of water. Is this ice? No, we can all agree that there is no meaning talking about one molecule of ice.

The fun starts when we try two molecules of water to see if it can be considered as ice.

How do we attach the two molecules together?
    Where do we have them to begin with? In some ind of vacuum not to be disturbed by othe ...[text shortened]... really interesting. It' will be a future topic to discuss over a beer with some good friends.
    "Water should be scripted H2O, H+, and OH- mixed. This means that a water molecule may be splitted in two ions"

Fabian- I know that is true in the liquid state but is it true as a gas (how?!?!) or a solid (possible I guess .. does ice consist partially of ionised lattice such as salt?? ) and as my previous post doesnt the +ve ions in water actually consist of H3O+ ions?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 18:171 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    "Water should be scripted H2O, H+, and OH- mixed. This means that a water molecule may be splitted in two ions"

Fabian- I know that is true in the liquid state but is it true as a gas (how?!?!) or a solid (possible I guess .. does ice consist partially of ionised lattice such as salt?? ) and as my previous post doesnt the +ve ions in water actually consist of H3O+ ions?
    The piece I posted mentions a salt-water ice that can be up to 7.5% NaCl. The piece says there are something like 10 or more kinds of ice.
    One very recent article tells of the existance of water ice at 108 degrees farenheight in a nanometer thick layer associated with a nanocoating of diamond said to maybe be useful for artificial hip implants where the ice layer smooths out the submicroscopic defects of the diamond layer which may make for a longer lived implant. I'll try to rustle up the article. Found it:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070905203345.htm
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 18:52
    The piece I posted mentions a salt-water ice that can be up to 7.5% NaCl. The piece says there are something like 10 or more kinds of ice.
    One very recent article tells of the existance of water ice at 108 degrees farenheight in a nanometer thick layer associated with a nanocoating of diamond said to maybe be useful for artificial hip implants where the ic ...[text shortened]... rustle up the article. Found it:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070905203345.htm
    Have we changed subject? I thought we were discussing the original problem of yours. Sorry.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 19:40
    Have we changed subject? I thought we were discussing the original problem of yours. Sorry.
    basically in response to wolfgang who asked about the structure of brine ice.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 19:43
    basically in response to wolfgang who asked about the structure of brine ice.
    Sirry if I mislead anyone. I was thinking about pure ice. The salt connection was just abad analogy.

😳
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 19:59
    A new phenomena has just been observed, here is the article:
    If two beakers with water in them are exposed to a high voltage electric field, the water molecules climb up the side of the beakers and come together in a water bridge up to 25 mm long! This is brand new science, you read it first here folks! Nothing to do with ice but it is startling behavior nonetheless!
    http://www.physorg.com/news110191847.html
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 20:07
    Thanks for that link! Good to know that water is still a mystery!

And while its still a mystery I wont risk it .. I'm sticking to good old C2H5OH

😵
  12. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 20:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    And while its still a mystery I wont risk it .. I'm sticking to good old C2H5OH
    I'd second that.

(And I'm sitting next to an empty bottle of red wine that would agree with me)
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 21:12
    Originally posted by mtthw
    I'd second that.

(And I'm sitting next to an empty bottle of red wine that would agree with me)
    In Vino Veritas. Pliney the younger.
  14. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 00:40
    http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/ice1h.html

Generally going by the minimal unit cell should be sufficient. At the very bottom of this page, marked c it gives the unit cell of ice as containing 4 molecules of water. The question of water spontaneously ionising into H+ and OH- is a temperature dependant property and the proportion of ions to covalently bonded molecules reduces with temperature. For the purposes of defining the crystal structure, 4 molecules is enough to be sure you have ice. Any less and you can't be sure that you have a unit cell. any more in the required structure simply increases the amount of ice you have, but I think the original question was what the minimum was. (4)
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 00:53
    I booked that site. The first image there shows 12 molecules. Isn't that the minimum? How can it have the hex pattern with less than 12?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree