Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. 28 Jul '07 13:23
    What is the longest word that can be spelt using the top line of a typewriter. (that is the qwerty line)
  2. 28 Jul '07 14:43
    Originally posted by D Ma G
    What is the longest word that can be spelt using the top line of a typewriter. (that is the qwerty line)
    typewriter?
  3. Standard member hAnimate
    mean & green
    28 Jul '07 16:44
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    typewriter?
    ...keyboard. Typewriter. Good one.
  4. Standard member emanon
    Student
    28 Jul '07 17:58
    ive got an azerty :s
  5. 28 Jul '07 18:19
    Is it typewriter?
  6. Standard member MetBierOp
    Dutch
    30 Jul '07 18:20
    Only English allowed?
  7. 30 Jul '07 21:33
    perpetuity. Sad that the keyboard idea doesn't hold for all the longest words.
  8. Standard member Freddie2008
    9 Edits
    01 Aug '07 02:22
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    perpetuity. Sad that the keyboard idea doesn't hold for all the longest words.
    Or rupturewort. Naturellement.
  9. 05 Sep '07 09:37
    yes tpewriter is the answer. Well done. Biu wat about the middle row.
  10. 05 Sep '07 09:37
    Sorry tYpewriter
  11. 05 Sep '07 09:52
    The myth says that when they organized the letters, at the early days of mechanical typing, they made it easy for the salesmen to type the word 'typewriter' really quickly to impress the customers to be.

If the myth is true is another question...
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    06 Sep '07 00:33
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The myth says that when they organized the letters, at the early days of mechanical typing, they made it easy for the salesmen to type the word 'typewriter' really quickly to impress the customers to be.

If the myth is true is another question...
    Wiki says that possibly the keyboard was set up the way it was was because they didn't want the commonly used keys near each other to avoid machine wear.
  13. 06 Sep '07 00:51
    Yeah... that Wiki... always filled with totally incorrect crap.
  14. 06 Sep '07 06:01
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Wiki says that possibly the keyboard was set up the way it was was because they didn't want the commonly used keys near each other to avoid machine wear.
    I hated that -- having to unstick keys because I typed too fast or typed a word whose letters were too close together.
  15. 16 Sep '07 00:22
    Originally posted by emanon
    ive got an azerty :s
    My top row reads "å,.pyfgcrl'¨". That's a bit more challenging than the QWERTY keyboard. But I can type "The idea that nineteen studious dadaists assisted Einstein is asinine" just using the middle row!