Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. FORT WORTH
    Joined
    14 Nov '04
    Moves
    244
    02 Dec '04 02:08
    this kid was six years old and his dad was thirty. his dad said how about we split our birthday cakes according to our age? i get 30 slices and you get six. how old will the kid be when he gets 1/4 of the cake 1/3 and 1/2? this is basic 8th grade proportions and should be pretty easy
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '04
    Moves
    1995
    02 Dec '04 03:16
    Originally posted by red king richie128
    this kid was six years old and his dad was thirty. his dad said how about we split our birthday cakes according to our age? i get 30 slices and you get six. how old will the kid be when he gets 1/4 of the cake 1/3 and 1/2? this is basic 8th grade proportions and should be pretty easy
    1/4 at twelve
    1/3 at 18
    1/2 never
  3. FORT WORTH
    Joined
    14 Nov '04
    Moves
    244
    02 Dec '04 03:20
    Originally posted by Gambitzoid
    1/4 at twelve
    1/3 at 18
    1/2 never
    that was easy right
  4. at the centre
    Joined
    19 Jun '04
    Moves
    3257
    03 Dec '04 16:521 edit
    Originally posted by red king richie128
    that was easy right
    NO..not exactly. Gambitzoid's solution needs only slight correction as follows.
    1/4 at 12 years..
    1/3 at 24 years...
    1/2 never.....
    This is on account of the fact that there has to be a constant difference of 24 years in the age of father and his son in the given puzzle.
  5. Joined
    08 Jun '04
    Moves
    3351
    03 Dec '04 17:19
    Originally posted by howzzat
    NO..not exactly. Gambitzoid's solution needs only slight correction as follows.
    1/4 at 12 years..
    1/3 at 24 years...
    1/2 never.....
    This is on account of the fact that there has to be a constant difference of 24 years in the age of father and his son in the given puzzle.
    That goes to show that even 8 th grade mathematics should not be taken for granted.
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    1983
    07 Dec '04 00:17
    Am I missing something????? After 18 years, the 6 year old will be 24, and the father will be 48...THAT IS HALF!!! THAT IS HALF!!!! THAT....IS....HALF....Jebus, what kind of puzzlers are you? Maybe you SHOULD go back to the 8th grade, durhhhhhhhh.
  7. FORT WORTH
    Joined
    14 Nov '04
    Moves
    244
    07 Dec '04 00:42
    Originally posted by Dodger11
    Am I missing something????? After 18 years, the 6 year old will be 24, and the father will be 48...THAT IS HALF!!! THAT IS HALF!!!! THAT....IS....HALF....Jebus, what kind of puzzlers are you? Maybe you SHOULD go back to the 8th grade, durhhhhhhhh.
    hey you idiot when he is 24 his dad is 48. 48 plus 24 equals 72. so he gets 24 out of 72 that is not half. huhhhh sad:'(
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '04
    Moves
    1995
    07 Dec '04 03:44
    Originally posted by cheskmate
    That goes to show that even 8 th grade mathematics should not be taken for granted.
    yeah sorry, tried to do it in my head
  9. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Joined
    25 Oct '02
    Moves
    20443
    07 Dec '04 10:29
    Originally posted by Dodger11
    Am I missing something????? After 18 years, the 6 year old will be 24, and the father will be 48...THAT IS HALF!!! THAT IS HALF!!!! THAT....IS....HALF....Jebus, what kind of puzzlers are you? Maybe you SHOULD go back to the 8th grade, durhhhhhhhh.
    Be sure to say something correct next time 🙂
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    1983
    07 Dec '04 10:30
    Originally posted by red king richie128
    hey you idiot when he is 24 his dad is 48. 48 plus 24 equals 72. so he gets 24 out of 72 that is not half. huhhhh sad:'(
    Oooops....a portion of the entire cake, not their respective portions..my bad.Oh well, the puzzle sucks anyway.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '04
    Moves
    1995
    09 Dec '04 03:28
    Originally posted by Dodger11
    Oooops....a portion of the entire cake, not their respective portions..my bad.Oh well, the puzzle sucks anyway.
    if it sucks... lets make it more interesting...

    at what age does the instantaneous rate of change of the fraction of cake he recieves equal 1/54 piece of a cake per year?
  12. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Joined
    08 Aug '04
    Moves
    12493
    09 Dec '04 22:37
    Originally posted by Gambitzoid
    if it sucks... lets make it more interesting...

    at what age does the instantaneous rate of change of the fraction of cake he recieves equal 1/54 piece of a cake per year?
    It's been a while since I've done calculus, so I could be wrong, but I've calculated the answer to be 6.
Back to Top