1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 10:09
    About three years ago there was a rash of reports about this professor of mathematics at Purdue, Louis De Branges de Bourcia presenting a 23 page paper solving the Riemann. That was in the year 2004. I have searched the web for updates, you would think it would be verified or vilified in three years time but I can't find anything newer than 04 on this. Anyone have any newer news? This problem is one of those with the million dollar prize.
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 12:411 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    About three years ago there was a rash of reports about this professor of mathematics at Purdue, Louis De Branges de Bourcia presenting a 23 page paper solving the Riemann. That was in the year 2004. I have searched the web for updates, you would think it would be verified or vilified in three years time but I can't find anything newer than 04 on this. Anyone have any newer news? This problem is one of those with the million dollar prize.
    Apparently he wants to be known as Louis de Branges. His papers, including the Riemann proof, are posted on his website at Purdue:

www.math.purdue.edu/~branges/site

But no reference to any peer review.
  3. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 13:18
    I think this is the guy that has proved the Riemmann hypothesis something like 5 times. So no doubt that his peers don't give him much attention by now.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 13:24
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I think this is the guy that has proved the Riemmann hypothesis something like 5 times. So no doubt that his peers don't give him much attention by now.
    Considering the total lack of later news, that idea has some merit.
  5. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 16:46
    Considering the total lack of later news, that idea has some merit.
    How so?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 17:41
    How so?
    I mean the idea that the professor is some kind of publicity seeker or some such, the math world must be basically ignoring his work.
  7. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 17:49
    Wasn't he the guy that solved some famous problem in the past using his own notation and methods in 300 pages and some mathematicians boiled it down to 65 pages and found the proof sound? Or perhaps the names just sound alike...
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 19:10
    I located an interesting 2004 article about the enigmatic Louis de Branges and his proof in the London Review of Books. It was written by Karl Sabbagh, another in the growing list of Riemann Hypothesis authors. Here's the link:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v26/n14/sabb01_.html
  9. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 21:29
    I mean the idea that the professor is some kind of publicity seeker or some such, the math world must be basically ignoring his work.
    I don't think he is some kind of publicity seeke I think he is just like that. It is easy to be wrong when you are obsessed with something.
    Anyway I went to his home page and download some of his articles just to see if I can make some sense out of it. 😵
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 22:48
    I don't think he is some kind of publicity seeke I think he is just like that. It is easy to be wrong when you are obsessed with something.
    Anyway I went to his home page and download some of his articles just to see if I can make some sense out of it. 😵
    Did you read Handy Andy's post, the article about De Branges? It is interesting, still an article written around the time he revealed his proof so nobody apparently has started work on it yet, it seems it would take a team of very high level mathematicians maybe 6 months to a year to do it and that would require a rather large grant from someone so it hasn't happened yet. Maybe someone will do it after he dies. He is 71 now. They also mentioned the idea that it would be odd for a 70 year old to make a deep original discovery like that, since mathematics is basically a young mans profession.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree