1. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    17 Jun '07 00:281 edit
    express the number 24 by the following four numbers using only * / + -

    a) 10, 10, 4, 4 (easy)
    b) 7, 7, 3, 3 (medium)
    c) 8, 8, 3, 3 (not so easy)

    anyone has similar puzzles to this?

    edit: oh and every number has to be used seperatly...cant use "38" or so in c).
  2. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    696
    17 Jun '07 07:14
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    express the number 24 by the following four numbers using only * / + -

    a) 10, 10, 4, 4 (easy)
    b) 7, 7, 3, 3 (medium)
    c) 8, 8, 3, 3 (not so easy)

    anyone has similar puzzles to this?

    edit: oh and every number has to be used seperatly...cant use "38" or so in c).
    a - 10+10+4+4
    b - 7x3 +3
    c - 8x3

    Try 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7 to make 777
  3. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    17 Jun '07 08:04
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    a - 10+10+4+4
    b - 7x3 +3
    c - 8x3

    Try 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7 to make 777
    erm, i didnt mention (because i thought its clear) that of course you have to use ALL numbers. 🙂
    in b) one 7 is misssing, in c) 8 and 3 are missing.

    and about a)....add the numbers again. is it really 24? 😉
  4. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    37185
    17 Jun '07 08:15
    a) [(10 x 10) - 4] / 4
  5. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    696
    17 Jun '07 08:51
    Oooh you really caught me out. I'm pretty drowsy this morning. Still, try the 6 sevens one 🙂
  6. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    37185
    17 Jun '07 09:00
    b) [(3/7) + 3] x 7
  7. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    19 Jun '07 14:38
    well done. but it seems, nobody can solve c)

    oh and about the 7's. is it 777 + (7-7)*7. that would be a bit too easy i guess?!
  8. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    696
    19 Jun '07 16:57
    no using 77 or 777
  9. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    19 Jun '07 17:53
    (7*7+7)*(7+7)-7 🙂
  10. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    696
    19 Jun '07 17:59
    my god you're good.
  11. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    1416
    19 Jun '07 17:592 edits
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    (7*7+7)*(7+7)-7 🙂
    392.
    Myself and Excel says so, at least, so...
  12. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    827
    19 Jun '07 18:02
    Originally posted by DeepRed
    392.
    Myself and Excel says so, at least, so...
    (7*7+7)*(7+7)-7...

    = (49+7)*(14)-7
    = (56)*(14)-7
    = 784-7
    = 777
  13. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    1416
    19 Jun '07 18:31
    Originally posted by crazyblue
    (7*7+7)*(7+7)-7...

    = (49+7)*(14)-7
    = (56)*(14)-7
    = 784-7
    = 777
    Two ways of interpreting it.
    I thought you meant that 56 * (14-7) was 777.
    Sorry.
  14. Joined
    13 Jun '07
    Moves
    932
    19 Jun '07 18:38
    To answer the original question, C) is 8/(3-8/3)
  15. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    37185
    19 Jun '07 18:58
    Originally posted by Alaskan
    To answer the original question, C) is 8/(3-8/3)
    You get my applause for that one.
Back to Top