1. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 22:47
    Assuming a closed system and a perfect world (no wind, gravity is 9.8m/s, constant k on the slinky) would it be mathematically possible for a slinky to be released perfectly onto the escalator and move continually?

If so what speed would the escalator have to be moving upwards?

*Taking-- "Normal stair riser height is 7½" but may be as high as 8" provided all risers are the same height."-- to get a norm. stair height (7.5in.) and a slinky of 1.75* the stair's height.
  2. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 08:24
    Originally posted by tamuzi
    Assuming a closed system and a perfect world (no wind, gravity is 9.8m/s, constant k on the slinky) would it be mathematically possible for a slinky to be released perfectly onto the escalator and move continually?

*Taking-- "Normal stair riser height is 7½" but may be as high as 8" provi ...[text shortened]... e height."-- to get a norm. stair height (7.5in.) and a slinky of 1.75* the stair's height.
    I reckon the elevator would have to move downward. A slinky moves DOWN the stairs.

If you push the slinky for the initial topple it would come to rest immedeately if the elevator is moving up.

I've done no calculations to prove this, so I might be wrong (I tend to be wrong first before I get things right)
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 08:43
    I think it is possible to release a slinky, in a escalator (not an elevator), and theoretically it will slink for ever.
    But in practice, it is hard to align the speed of the escalator to the slinky's properties. Even if you do, the k of the slinky will change a little with time, thus change its position.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 11:57
    Originally posted by tamuzi

*Taking-- "Normal stair riser height is 7½" but may be as high as 8" provi ...[text shortened]... e height."-- to get a norm. stair height (7.5in.) and a slinky of 1.75* the stair's height.
    Providing that said slinky reaches a terminal velocity when descending stationary stairs then it could be put on an escalator that accelerated to that terminal velocity and slink forever.
  5. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 08:29
    Hahaha, escalator...not elevator...

*hides in a corner*
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 18:45
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    Hahaha, escalator...not elevator...

*hides in a corner*
    What's funny with that...?
  7. Joined
    27 Apr '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 19:08
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Check his location, and you'll see.
  8. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    04 May '08 08:33
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Oh, just me reading too fast 🙂

To quote a bit form your post:
    "in a escalator (not an elevator)"

I read it as a subtle hint for me to read better 😉
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 May '08 09:41
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    Oh, just me reading too fast 🙂

To quote a bit form your post:
    "in a escalator (not an elevator)"

I read it as a subtle hint for me to read better 😉
    Ah, now I see! 🙂 Then I join you in the hahaha part! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree