Some more power stuff

Some more power stuff

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Mar 10
2 edits

I'm just stuck on a problem

the problem is asking for the power supplied by the motor at a certain time t.

The force the motor supplies is a function of time

F = F(t)

and

P = Fv

am I in the right ballpark for logic

F(t) = ma

a = F(t)/m = dv/dt

v= Int[(F(t)/m)dt] = v(t)

Then P(t) = v(t)* F(t)

??

The problem incorporates some pulleys and friction, but I didn't want to go into that if my logic is flawed from the get go.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
05 Mar 10
1 edit

You should offer up the problem.

Are you trying to determine power as a function of time given that you know the force as a function of time?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Mar 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
You should offer up the problem.

Are you trying to determine power as a function of time given that you know the force as a function of time?
ok

a crate has a mass of 210 kg and rests on a(horizontal) surface for which the coefficients of static "s", and kinetic friction"k" are 0.4 & 0.3 respectivley

If the motor M supplies a cable force of F = (8t^2 + 20)N , where t is in seconds, determine the power output developed by the motor when t = 7 s.

This part you'll have to take my word

let +x axis be to the left

The FBD
3T to the left (because of mechanical advantage of pulleys) and Friction force to right.

sum Fy is not needed except for detrermination of Friction force which is just c(Fw)

c stands for coefficient, and Fw force weight.

there it is.

m

Moves
06 Mar 10

Originally posted by joe shmo
am I in the right ballpark for logic

F(t) = ma

a = F(t)/m = dv/dt

v= Int[(F(t)/m)dt] = v(t)

Then P(t) = v(t)* F(t)
That looks the right approach to me.

You'll have to factor in the fact that the initial force isn't enough to overcome friction, so work out the time where the mass will start moving first. But then what you're doing here should work.