1. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Oct '05 21:18
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Read the thread and nothing satisfied me, so here we go: what we know as temperature is actually a level of atomic activity. Temperature actually measures the amount of atomic vibrations in a given space. Scientists have actually achieved temperatures four millionths of a degree above absolute zero. As long as there is mass - any mass, and keep in m ...[text shortened]... e - absolute zero is unattainable. You can approach it asymptotically but you can't get there.
    ROFL

If you read the thread You'd know that the whole issue was finished with a while back.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Oct '05 22:041 edit
    According to kinetic theory there would be no movement of individual particles at absolute zero, and thus any material at this temperature would be solid. This contradicts experimental evidence. A more practical definition of absolute zero is as the temperature where no further energy may be extracted. For the case of free atoms at temperatures approaching absolute zero, most of the energy is in the form of translational motion and the temperature can be measured in terms of the distribution of this motion, with slower speeds corresponding to lower temperatures.

In fact because of quantum mechanical effects, the speed at absolute zero is not exactly zero, but depends, as does the energy, on the volume within which the atom is confined. At absolute zero, the molecules and atoms in a system are all in the ground state (i.e., the lowest possible energy state) and the system has the least possible amount of kinetic energy allowed by the laws of physics. This minimum energy corresponds to the zero-point energy encountered in the quantum mechanical particle in a box problem. As emphasised above, the lowest possible energy is not necessarily zero energy, owing to the ramifications of quantum theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero

Tada
  3. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Oct '05 22:171 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    According to kinetic theory there would be no movement of individual particles at absolute zero, and thus any material at this temperature would be solid. This contradicts experimental evidence. A more practical definition of absolute zero is as the temperature where no further energy may be extracted. For the case of free atoms at temperatures approaching ...[text shortened]... ng to the ramifications of quantum theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero

Tada
    Your site proves my point. Since you will never see molecue motion stopped, you will never see absolute zero.

Here is a site, that will explain to you how it works, (I had to choose a kids site so you can understand it 😛)

http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/content/science/brainpop/movie?id=temperature

Edit: Tada
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 00:551 edit
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    Your site proves my point. Since you will never see molecue motion stopped, you will never see absolute zero.

Here is a site, that will explain to you how it works, (I had to choose a kids site so you can understand it 😛)

http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/content/science/brainpop/movie?id=temperature

Edit: Tada
    In fact because of quantum mechanical effects, the speed at absolute zero is not exactly zero, but depends, as does the energy, on the volume within which the atom is confined. At absolute zero, the molecules and atoms in a system are all in the ground state (i.e., the lowest possible energy state) and the system has the least possible amount of kinetic energy allowed by the laws of physics. This minimum energy corresponds to the zero-point energy encountered in the quantum mechanical particle in a box problem. As emphasised above, the lowest possible energy is not necessarily zero energy, owing to the ramifications of quantum theory.
  5. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 01:39
    In fact because of quantum mechanical effects, [b]the speed at absolute zero is not exactly zero, but depends, as does the energy, on the volume within which the atom is confined. At absolute zero, the molecules and atoms in a system are all in the ground state (i.e., the lowest possible energy state) and the system has the least possible amount of kin ...[text shortened]... st possible energy is not necessarily zero energy, owing to the ramifications of quantum theory.[/b]
    You are correct, I was just responding to you when you stated that 0 Kelvin has some molecule motion, when in fact it dont.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 02:051 edit
    You are correct, I was just responding to you when you stated that 0 Kelvin has some molecule motion, when in fact it dont.
    No motion means no energy
    Absolute zero is the ground state for all molecules.
    Ground state does not imply no energy.
    Therefore at absolute zero there can be molecule motion.

Where am I going wrong?

EDIT: It don't?
  7. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 02:21
    Absolute zero is the ground state for all molecules.
    Ground state does not imply no energy.
    Therefore at absolute zero there can be molecule motion.

Where am I going wrong?

EDIT: It don't?
    I was thinking, Everything decays at the same rate regardless of tempurature (I think). IF Scientist can somehow make a substance 0 Kelvin where there is no molecule motion, would the decay rate change? or would it even decay since there is no heat?
    This is probaly a stupid question.
  8. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 02:37

Where am I going wrong?

E = mc2
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 04:21
    Originally posted by Kalsen
    E = mc2
    No kinetic energy.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 12:20
    In fact because of quantum mechanical effects, [b]the speed at absolute zero is not exactly zero, but depends, as does the energy, on the volume within which the atom is confined. At absolute zero, the molecules and atoms in a system are all in the ground state (i.e., the lowest possible energy state) and the system has the least possible amount of kin ...[text shortened]... st possible energy is not necessarily zero energy, owing to the ramifications of quantum theory.[/b]
    The ramification is mainly the uncertainty principle:
    even at 'absolute zero', there is a tiny amount of molecular vibration
    but which still represents the lowest energy level achievable in that
    sytsem. Any attempt to lower the average kinetic energy (molecular
    vibration) will raise the average energy level and therefore the system
    will not be at absolute zero any more.
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 12:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The ramification is mainly the uncertainty principle:
    even at 'absolute zero', there is a tiny amount of molecular vibration
    but which still represents the lowest energy level achievable in that
    sytsem. Any attempt to lower the average kinetic energy (molecular
    vibration) will raise the average energy level and therefore the system
    will not be at absolute zero any more.
    Well thanks for repeating what my source says.
  12. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    18 Oct '05 14:31
    If I owned a box of very cold particles they would still be orbiting the sun at quite a rate and going away from the centre of the universe very quickly as well. I could even stick them in the back of my car and drive up to 70mph without breaking any laws. I don't see how all this motion would mean they weren't at absolute zero.
  13. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Oct '05 03:46
    I know that absolute 0 is unatainable, I never said otherwise. But are you still arguing that 0 Kelvin has molecular vibration? Yes or no
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Oct '05 22:19
    Yes, I repeated it because I thought he might get it if we got to it
    from another direction. I see it, you see it, we are trying to get HIM
    to see it!
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Oct '05 22:212 edits
    I know that absolute 0 is unatainable, I never said otherwise. But are you still arguing that 0 Kelvin has molecular vibration? Yes or no
    You got it. The reason you are stuck on this concept is this: absolute zero is a classical physics concept where they THOUGHT all movement
    stopped at 0.00000K but quantum theory blows that out of the
    water. There is still a bit of wiggle at absolute zero and any attempt
    to make it totally zero is doomed to failure.
    You know ( I guess you know anyway) the uncertainty principle says
    you can find the position of a particle with absolute precision but at
    the expense of tallying its energy with equal precision, or
    you can find the absolute energy but at the expense of of knowing its
    position with equal precision but not both at the same time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree