Speechless

Speechless

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
06 Dec 05

Not very difficult problem without words (i.e. figure out what the problem is and its solution).

Sais

Berks.

Moves
06 Dec 05
1 edit

I'll PM in a moment. I think I have a solution.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
07 Dec 05

Originally posted by Mephisto2
Not very difficult problem without words (i.e. figure out what the problem is and its solution).

[fen]8/6P1/5QP1/5PPP/4BpPk/5P1p/4R2K/6BR w - - 0 1[/fen]
White's b- through e- pawns all captured their way to the Queenside, consuming all 13 missing Black units in the process.

bPh is behind wPh, which never left the file. White took the g-pawn, so this pawn was originally on h7 and required two captures to get around wPh.

The collision of the a-pawns means that either Black must make a third capture to get around it, or must have another piece kill wPa. Either way, this constitutes Black's third and final capture.

Therefore, the last move was not ...e5xf4. There are no captures left for it. Black has no legal last move.

The last moves were -1.g2-g4 Kg4-h4 -2.f2-f3+. There's no other way to give Black a legal retraction.

Therefore, it is Black's move, and he has no choice but to play
1...fxg3e.p.#

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
White's b- through e- pawns all captured their way to the Queenside, consuming all 13 missing Black units in the process.

bPh is behind wPh, which never left the file. White took the g-pawn, so this pawn was originally on h7 and required two captures to get around wPh.

The collision of the a-pawns means that either Black must make a third captu ...[text shortened]... ction.

Therefore, it is Black's move, and he has no choice but to play
[b]1...fxg3e.p.#
[/b]
Nice.

i
Deracinated

Sydney

Moves
07 Dec 05

[fen]8/6P1/5QP1/5PPP/4BpPk/5P1p/4R2K/6BR w - - 0 1[/fen]

M

Moves
07 Dec 05

Originally posted by ivangrice
correct! Any justification?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
08 Dec 05

correct! Any justification?
A problem without words deserves an answer without words. 😛

M

Moves
08 Dec 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
A problem without words deserves an answer without words. 😛
The difference is that the problem was with an image, not needing words. The answer was perhaps correct, but insufficiently documented 😉