1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 16:59
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I don't even mention the "top right corner of the left hand square in the middle row", so I doubt you're even trying to understand.

My post is still there, if you care to read it.
    No, you mentioned the "vertex of the middle-left square", which I interpreted as "top right corner of the left hand square in the middle row".

Since you have troubles explaining yourself and get huffy when asked to do so, I won't waste any more time with you or your posts.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 17:041 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    No, you mentioned the "vertex of the middle-left square", which I interpreted as "top right corner of the left hand square in the middle row".

Since you have troubles explaining yourself and get huffy when asked to do so, I won't waste any more time with you or your posts.
    If you read the sentence to the end you'd see that after "vertex of the middle-left square" came "is in the midpoint of the top side of the lower left square."

Now answer this: How many vertices of that square can be also the midpoint of the top side of the lower left square?
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 17:05
    Originally posted by PBE6
    I think you would agree that each half of the object is congruent to the other. Although they aren't "mirror symmetrical" to each other, they are "rotationally symmetrical". However I solved this problem the same way you did, with an area formula.

I'm not sure if this is the proper name for this type of solution, but to me it seemed "constructive" (i.e. bu ...[text shortened]... discovered a "secret", resulting in that AHA!! moment we all relish so much. 🙂
    Oh yes, I certainly agree that the shapes are congruent (thank you for reminding me of the correct word!) and that it fairly obvious that they are (if the diagram is drawn accurately), but to get to that stage you have to imagine the two whole squares removed.

What if you initially guessed wrong and tried to do this with the line going from A to the point 1/3 of the way down BC? Then you would spend time deciding that the two resulting shapes were not congruent and reject this solution.

The good thing about solving it methodically is that you end up with the solution after a certain amount of time. I love clever solutions, but only if they result in getting to the answer much quicker or if there isn't an obvious way to do it methodically at all.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 17:06
    I think you would agree that each half of the object is congruent to the other. Although they aren't "mirror symmetrical" to each other, they are "rotationally symmetrical". However I solved this problem the same way you did, with an area formula.

I'm not sure if this is the proper name for this type of solution, but to me it seemed "constructive" (i.e. bu ...[text shortened]... discovered a "secret", resulting in that AHA!! moment we all relish so much. 🙂
    Maybe you've missed that the point of this thread was Fat Lady trying to show off and failing miserably.
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 17:41
    Maybe you've missed that the point of this thread was Fat Lady trying to show off and failing miserably.
    Teh lulz... 😀
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 17:51
    Teh lulz... 😀
    😉
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 22:12

Have you been reading "The Mathematical Experience"?
  8. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 00:21
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    Have you been reading "The Mathematical Experience"?
    Nope, just thinking about thinking, but I just Googled this book and it sounds pretty interesting! I'll have to take a look next time I'm at the book store.
  9. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 09:52
    That's quite harsh. Not being able to understand a single concept does not mean you are not intelligent. For instance, many bright mathematicians struggle with Analysis but that does not mean they won't make good Group theorists.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 09:591 edit
    Originally posted by Swlabr
    Not being able to understand a single concept does not mean you are not intelligent. For instance, many bright mathematicians struggle with Analysis but that does not mean they won't make good Group theorists.
    I definitely agree, but I never said he wasn't intelligent. Just that the opening post and his insistence that HIS answer was the best, made me think this was more about ego than intelligence or mathematics.
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 10:511 edit
    Nope, just thinking about thinking, but I just Googled this book and it sounds pretty interesting! I'll have to take a look next time I'm at the book store.
    🙂

Thinking about thinking is one of the most important things. In this context it is called meta-mathematics.

If you have the time do read that book because it is very good in mathematical awakenings. I just found out http://www.amazon.com/What-Mathematics-Really-Reuben-Hersh/dp/0195113683 and I think I'll devour that book. It seems to be pretty interesting and polarizing too.

Edit: One review
    http://www.maa.org/reviews/whatis.html
  12. Joined
    26 Nov '07
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 10:571 edit
    I definitely agree, but I never said he wasn't intelligent. Just that the opening post and his insistence that HIS answer was the best, made me think this was more about ego than intelligence or mathematics.
    Perhaps. I'm always wary about how people come across on forums-too many innocent posts have been taken in ways that they were not meant!

It must be pointed out, however, that Fabian didn't really explain himself too well in his first post. He just said "consider symmetry", which in itself is not rigorous, thus Fat Lady replied with a rigorous. proof.

Anyway, I'n not going to let myself be dragged into any arguments or anything. Both methods are correct, but the rotational symmerty one is more beautiful. 🙂
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 11:25
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    🙂

Thinking about thinking is one of the most important things. In this context it is called meta-mathematics.

If you have the time do read that book because it is very good in mathematical awakenings. I just found out http://www.amazon.com/What-Mathematics-Really-Reuben-Hersh/dp/0195113683 and I think I'll devour that book. It seems to be pretty interesting and polarizing too.

Edit: One review
    http://www.maa.org/reviews/whatis.html
    Interesting. I tend to have a very formalist view of mathematics, so it would be good to read something that challenges it.
  14. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    11 Feb '09 12:021 edit
    Interesting. I tend to have a very formalist view of mathematics, so it would be good to read something that challenges it.
    The previous book "The Mathematical Experience" also disagrees the three main views of mathematics (besides doing a lot of other things) but seems to be much more milder than this one.

I am platonist/realist and so I look forward reading this new book and foaming out of my mouth at most of it.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Wigner.html
    http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Hamming.html
    http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/fall2004/entries/mathphil-indis/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree