1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 04:41
    Something that might mess with your head...

You are a certain age. Let's say 50.

One year is 1/50 of your life. It seems much shorter than a year did when you were 20, when it was 1/20 of your life.

When you're a baby a year is a long time - your whole lifetime if you're one year old!

This pattern suggests that the first subjective moment of life is infinitely long subjectively. Right?

🙄
  2. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 06:12
    A year was still a year before you were born. It will be a year after you die. What does it matter how long you've been alive?

I think "half a lifetime ago" gets longer as you get older, but a year is a year is a year.
  3. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 07:00
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    A year was still a year before you were born. It will be a year after you die. What does it matter how long you've been alive?

I think "half a lifetime ago" gets longer as you get older, but a year is a year is a year.
    A year on a lifetime is nothing.

When a baby, a year is a huge amount of time. With a year you double your age when you're 1.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 07:55
    Originally posted by forkedknight

Haven't you noticed that an hour seems a lot shorter than it did when you were ten?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 08:15
    The speed of time depends of which side of a bathroom door you are currently waiting.

Ask your teenage daughter in your bathroom how much time a "just a minute" is.
  6. Joined
    14 Feb '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '08 21:58
    I would say time seems to take the longest when you are bored, you are experiencing and learning little and you have a slow heart rate. Conversely all these things are the opposite when you are younger. That would suggest to me that years packed with experience etc would subjectively feel shorter.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 08:15
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Something that might mess with your head...

You are a certain age. Let's say 50.

One year is 1/50 of your life. It seems much shorter than a year did when you were 20, when it was 1/20 of your life.

When you're a baby a year is a long time - your whole lifetime if you're one year old!

This pattern suggests that the first subjective moment of life is infinitely long subjectively. Right?
    Not necessarily. This can be solved by assuming that your time line starts at conception, but sentience only after a couple of months. Or that sentience only arises in parts, with the part that perceives relative length of moments coming into existence after the part that perceives the passing of time per se.

Richard
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 09:04
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Not necessarily. This can be solved by assuming that your time line starts at conception, but sentience only after a couple of months. Or that sentience only arises in parts, with the part that perceives relative length of moments coming into existence after the part that perceives the passing of time per se.

Richard
    lets go back before you were born. How much subjective time do you experience in the first 9 months in utero?
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 10:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    lets go back before you were born. How much subjective time do you experience in the first 9 months in utero?
    It probably starts whenever the central nervous system and brain begin to form.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 15:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well, that's my point... I suspect you only experience the passing of time, that is, experience what could be called the subjective length of time, after you've been experiencing time per se for some, ahem, time.
    IOW, I suspect that you are aware of there being one "now" after another some time (and I couldn't even guess how long) before you are sufficiently grown to be aware of one "now" being longer or shorter than another.
    But I can't prove any of that, of course. It's just that length of time seems a more advanced notion, to me, than a moment of time itself.

Richard
  11. ALG
    Moves
    13 Aug '08 18:54
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Well, that's my point... I suspect you only experience the passing of time, that is, experience what could be called the subjective length of time, after you've been experiencing time per se for some, ahem, time.
    IOW, I suspect that you are aware of there being one "now" after another some time (and I couldn't even guess how long) before ...[text shortened]... h of time seems a more advanced notion, to me, than a moment of time itself.

Richard
    😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree