1. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 May '07 11:063 edits
    This is a fictional but legal position. It's white to move. Which side is better? *If you're going to put this into a program please don't give away the answer or anything relative to it.

2. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 May '07 11:141 edit
    Just so's you all know I don't have the answer. It's up in the air so let's see if we can figure it out!
  3. Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    24 May '07 11:16
    IMHO white's better.

1. it has better defense structure of the pawns, while black does not.
    2. black be7 cannot move anywhere at all
    3. vlack rooks are both controlling 1 line
    4. although black king seems protected, it is not the best tactic, asif a protected queen gets to g, or h 7 he cannot run away anywhere. I don't usually do such things while opponent's queen is still alive.
  4. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 May '07 11:22
    white may have a lot of superficial advantages, but that's not to say black can't be positionally stronger. Try to look deeper... maybe there's something that lies just beyond the threshold of the naked eye.
  5. Joined
    29 Apr '05
    Moves
    24 May '07 11:41
    I noticed 2 things right away. Black pawn on b5 is attacked and can be won. And if White plays dxc5 and Black takes back with queen then after Bf2 the queen is trapped.
    My plan for White would look like this: 1. dxc5 dxc5 2. Rxd8 Rxd8 3. Bxa8 Rxa8 (simplify the position when you can gain material advantage) 4. exf6 Bxf6 (e6 pawn weak as well now) 5. Nxb5

Now this looks good for White in my opinion, no matter if Black takes the knight or not. Probably Re8 next move for Black. But White is a pawn up and has pressure on e6.
  6. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    24 May '07 12:21
    I think that's pretty good CrazyBlue. Now suppose if in the same position it were black to move? Life seems to be a little more difficult on black's side, but maybe an extra tempo can turn the tables....
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 May '07 22:40
    White has space and time (+6 tempos). Material's equal. By this quick analysis, White's dominant. However I am generally too lazy to look at the tactics.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree