1. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    26462
    12 Oct '03 17:021 edit

    A H I M ? T U V W X


    These nine letters of the alphabet belong together for a reason.
    Once you figure out the reason, find the missing letter.

    A difficult one, I guess .......

    Have fun,

    IvanH
  2. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Joined
    29 Nov '02
    Moves
    17317
    13 Oct '03 02:23
    O
  3. Amsterdam
    Joined
    26 Jan '03
    Moves
    27540
    13 Oct '03 10:18
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    O
    I was thinking about 'O' too, 8 spaces and then one, and then 8 again and then one....but that doens't aply with the next 4 letters...
  4. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Joined
    25 Oct '02
    Moves
    20443
    13 Oct '03 11:37
    Originally posted by LivingLegend
    I was thinking about 'O' too, 8 spaces and then one, and then 8 again and then one....but that doens't aply with the next 4 letters...
    I always thought that the letter after M was the N...but indeed, it doesn't work for the rest of the letters...

    Ton and Nuathala
  5. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    26462
    13 Oct '03 12:16
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    O

    ... and what is the reason ?

  6. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Joined
    04 Jul '02
    Moves
    3790
    14 Oct '03 12:351 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

    ... and what is the reason ?

    If you hold them up to a mirror, all of these letters look the same. Y can as well depending on how you write it, but the other letters don't.
  7. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Joined
    04 Jul '02
    Moves
    3790
    14 Oct '03 12:46
    Something to try with a mirror:

    Get a piece of paper and write 'CHICKEN' on it. Turn the paper upside-down and hold it up to a mirror. If you look at the image in the mirror, you'll see that the 'N' is reversed - why?
  8. Felicific Forest
    Joined
    15 Dec '02
    Moves
    26462
    14 Oct '03 17:321 edit
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    If you hold them up to a mirror, all of these letters look the same. Y can as well depending on how you write it, but the other letters don't.

    That is the correct answer. Ten points for Acolyte !!

  9. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    25837
    14 Oct '03 19:26
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    Something to try with a mirror:

    Get a piece of paper and write 'CHICKEN' on it. Turn the paper upside-down and hold it up to a mirror. If you look at the image in the mirror, you'll see that the 'N' is reversed - why?
    All the other letters look the same when flipped upside down and viewed from the back This is the same as reflecting them in a horizontal plane and they all have horizontal symmetry.

    N has no horizontal symmety but it goes back to front when reflected in a horizontal plane.
Back to Top