Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. 12 Oct '03 17:02 / 1 edit

A H I M ? T U V W X

These nine letters of the alphabet belong together for a reason.
    Once you figure out the reason, find the missing letter.

A difficult one, I guess .......

Have fun,

IvanH
  2. Standard member royalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    13 Oct '03 02:23
    O
  3. 13 Oct '03 10:18
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    O
    I was thinking about 'O' too, 8 spaces and then one, and then 8 again and then one....but that doens't aply with the next 4 letters...
  4. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    13 Oct '03 11:37
    Originally posted by LivingLegend
    I was thinking about 'O' too, 8 spaces and then one, and then 8 again and then one....but that doens't aply with the next 4 letters...
    I always thought that the letter after M was the N...but indeed, it doesn't work for the rest of the letters...

Ton and Nuathala
  5. 13 Oct '03 12:16
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    O

... and what is the reason ?

6. Donation Acolyte
    Now With Added BA
    14 Oct '03 12:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

... and what is the reason ?

If you hold them up to a mirror, all of these letters look the same. Y can as well depending on how you write it, but the other letters don't.
  7. Donation Acolyte
    Now With Added BA
    14 Oct '03 12:46
    Something to try with a mirror:

Get a piece of paper and write 'CHICKEN' on it. Turn the paper upside-down and hold it up to a mirror. If you look at the image in the mirror, you'll see that the 'N' is reversed - why?
  8. 14 Oct '03 17:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    If you hold them up to a mirror, all of these letters look the same. Y can as well depending on how you write it, but the other letters don't.

That is the correct answer. Ten points for Acolyte !!

9. 14 Oct '03 19:26
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    Something to try with a mirror:

Get a piece of paper and write 'CHICKEN' on it. Turn the paper upside-down and hold it up to a mirror. If you look at the image in the mirror, you'll see that the 'N' is reversed - why?
    All the other letters look the same when flipped upside down and viewed from the back This is the same as reflecting them in a horizontal plane and they all have horizontal symmetry.

N has no horizontal symmety but it goes back to front when reflected in a horizontal plane.