1. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    06 Dec '02 23:36
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    given that insight of yours into the don's problem i may be able to solve it
    with a generating function. let k(n) be successive coefficients in the
    maclaurin series expansion of some continuous differentiable function f(x)...

also, say, as Acolyte did, that for some c, k(n) = 2n - c for all n>=c. note
    that n < P(n) <= 2n-c, where P(n) is the s ...[text shortened]... ns.
    this is obvious, but having a tight bound on P(n) is knowledge worth having in
    the open.
    That's not quite what I meant. What I was trying to say was that k(n) = 2n - c -&gt; k(t) =&lt;
    2t - c for all c,n and t &gt;= n. This does indeed give you an upper bound to the solution, but
    it's still ~2n for sufficiently large n. What it does show is that none of the terms in the
    solution grow or shrink faster than n - ie no n^m, where m&gt;1, and certainly no postive
    exponentials. However there could still be terms lurking in there that grow like log n, for
    example.
    I suspect that the solution will not tend towards a linear equation of the form 2n - c, but
    that's just because I know the answer is far from easy to obtain.
  2. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    06 Dec '02 23:43
    this much is clear. i intended that more as a check of any solution that is
    obtained.
  3. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    06 Dec '02 23:58
    i tried something like this, with no good progress. however, the stratagies
    which i will email to you provide some semblance of a proof. i have also found
    out a few things about this problem, namely:

1.it is called the Collatz conjecture;
    2.the late mathematician Paul Erdos stated that "mathematics is not ready for
    the Collatz conjecture" (a ...[text shortened]... to you...)

expect (or don't be surprised upon recieving) an email from "shagen@gwi.net".
    You can do something with it:

Let c(1) = m be the minimal counterexample. Suppose m = k.2^n + 1 , where k is odd
    (possibly k = 1) and n &gt;= 2. Then c(4) = 3k.2^(n-2) + 1 , which is less than c(1). So m is
    not minimal (contradiction). Obviously m is not even, so it must be of the form 2k + 1,
    where k is odd.

OK, maybe that's not very helpful, as it only deals with 3/4 of the numbers.

I've had a quick look at the document you've sent me, and I don't think the characters are
    displaying properly on my computer. Still the bits I could make out had me a bit confused.
    What is the significance of s(1)s(2)....s(n) ? Surely this is 0 for any n &gt; 1. Or does s(n)
    mean something other than the parity function you seemed to define at the start? (as I say,
    it's not displaying properly.)
  4. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    07 Dec '02 01:07
    the first method you suggest is identical to something i tried with little
    success. as you noticed, s1s2...sn IS always zero, i have not changed the
    definition of s. i was afraid of that happening with the characters. all i can
    suggest is that you download a freeware program called &quot;equation magic lite&quot;
    (about 1.4 MB, i think). it will allow you to read things in LATeX format , and
    as you are in math(s), you may find it useful in future. sorry.

5. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    07 Dec '02 01:15
    as regards the don's problem, i have reason to believe that 2n-4 IS the optimum
    method. i am working on a proof.
  6. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    07 Dec '02 08:13
    all i can
    suggest is that you download a freeware program called "equation magic lite"
    (about 1.4 MB, i think). it will allow you to read things in LATeX format , and
    as you are in math(s), you may find it useful in future. sorry.
    Yes, I've been meaning to get hold of one of those. Unfotunately equation magic doesn't
    seem to be available for the Mac.
  7. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    07 Dec '02 22:16
    1. i will give it to you in PDF format. sorry about this.

2. i have a proof that P(n) = 2n-4 for all n &gt;= 4. (it is 10 degrees F here,
    nothing to do...).

You have already shown that P(n) = 2n-4 is suffiecient to disseminate all gossip
    among all of the dons. thus it will suffice to show that there exists no c in N
    such that P(c) &lt;= 2c-5. to start, assume that there does exist such a c, and
    further suppose that it is the minimum c for which P(c) &lt;= 2c-5. this implies
    that P(c-1) = 2(c-1)-4 = 2c-6. therefore, if our initial assumption is correct,
    then for that c, P(c) = P(c-1) + 1. Now Let D(c-1) be the graph (V(c-1),
    E(c-1)), where V(c-1) is the set of c-1 vertices (dons) and E(c-1) is the set of
    edges (conversations) necessary to disseminate all gossip in the optimum manner.
    by the initial assumption, E(c-1) has P(c-1) = 2c-6 elements. now further,
    D(c-1) must have all vertices be of minimum degree 2 in order for all gossip to
    be disseminated. this holds for any graph representing a sequence of
    conversations satisfying the don's problem. now D(c) must have c vertices
    (dons), and, by our assumption, 2c-5 edges. so we have added one vertex and one
    edge. thus in D(c) there exists some vetex of degree 1, and therefore it
    requires the addition of an edge to satisfy the don's problem. thus there
    exists no c where P(c) = 2c-5. therefore 2c-4 is optimum. QED

(i email-ically ran this by someone i know who is doing her graduate work in
    graph theory, she doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with it, hence the
    audacity of the QED).
  8. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    07 Dec '02 22:18
    the scheme neede to do it in 2n-4 is complicated enough so that not all of the
    dons would think of it. therefore, at least one telephone call would be
    necessary beforehand to disseminate the method, for a total of 2n-3, which we
    said originally! 🙂
  9. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    07 Dec '02 22:192 edits
    this problem is apparently a special case of something called tidjeman's theorem,
    which says that 2n-4 is optimum. his proof is simpler, though.
  10. Asheville
    Moves
    08 Dec '02 01:411 edit
    given that insight of yours into the don's problem i may be able to
    solve it
    with a generating function. let k(n) be successive coefficients in the
    maclaurin series expansion of some continuous differentiable function
    f(x)...
    ...[text shortened]... ng a tight bound on P(n) is knowledge worth
    having in
    the open.
    Huh? (I need desperately to relearn my math. HELP!) By the way, did
    you know that LaTeX is also used for chess games?

Rein, who aced AP Calc. and went seriously downhill from there.
  11. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    08 Dec '02 20:47
    1. i will give it to you in PDF format. sorry about this.

2. i have a proof that P(n) = 2n-4 for all n >= 4. (it is 10 degrees F here,
    nothing to do...).

You have already shown that P(n) = 2n-4 is suffiecient to disseminate all gossip
    among all of the dons. thus it will suffice to show that there exists no c in N
    such that P(c) <= 2c-5. to ...[text shortened]... ory, she doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with it, hence the
    audacity of the QED).
    1. Thanks, I can read it now. The function used in the conjecture can only take discrete
    values; does this affect the subsequent convergence calculations? (I don't know as I haven't
    really done any analysis yet)

2. I can't see anything wrong with your argument until this point:

'so we have added one vertex and one edge'

Obviously we've adjoined a vertex and increased the number of edges by one. But I remain
    to be convinced that D(c) is necessarily a direct extension of D(c-1). In fact, D(3) is not a
    subgraph of D(4) (try drawing them!), so why must D(c-1) be a subgraph of D(c) ?
  12. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    08 Dec '02 21:481 edit
    i did rethink this, and was at first chagrined by the fact that D(3) is not a
    subgraph of D(4).
    however, D(3), D(4) are not considered by our argument, because i am trying to
    prove that P(c) = 2n-5 is impossible only in cases where P(c-1) = 2(c-1) - 4.
    it is not a subgraph because the method needed to get P(c) = 2c-4 requires at
    least four dons. however, this does not explain away your objection. i have to
    think about this.
  13. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    08 Dec '02 22:18
    the system that allows it to be done in 2c - 4 demands that D(c-1) be a subgraph
    of D(c). in the system, one has a &quot;core group&quot; of 4 dons, and everyone else
    talks to one in the core group, who each then talk amongst themselves. for
    example, if we have five dons, A,B,C,D,E, and (X,Y) is a conversation, then:

(A,E); (A,B); (C,D); (A,C); (B,D); (A,E)

now for six, all we need to do is tack (A,F) onto each end, and we have it in 8.
    but you knew this. however, if we wanted to do it in 7, we could then try any
    of the different pairs (A or B or C or D or E,F), and find that none suffice.
    to do it in 2c - 5 means that we need an at least 1- connected graph with c
    vertices, 2c - 5 edges, and no vertex of odd degree (think about the problem and
    see why this follows). this is clearly impossible.
  14. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    09 Dec '02 08:461 edit
    the system that allows it to be done in 2c - 4 demands that D(c-1) be a subgraph
    of D(c). in the system, one has a "core group" of 4 dons, and everyone else
    talks to one in the core group, who each then talk amongst themselves. f ...[text shortened]... oblem and
    see why this follows). this is clearly impossible.
    &quot;in the system, one has a &quot;core group&quot; of 4 dons, and everyone else
    talks to one in the core group, who each then talk amongst themselves.&quot;

I think we're going round in circles here. This system is SUFFICIENT to get the dons to
    communicate the gossip in 2c - 4 conversations. I don't think you've shown that this
    particular system is NECESSARY for all c &gt;= 4.

&quot;however, if we wanted to do it in 7, we could then try any
    of the different pairs (A or B or C or D or E,F), and find that none suffice.&quot;

Obviously. But this assumes that D(6) is an extension of D(5), so depends on the first point.

&quot;to do it in 2c - 5 means that we need an at least 1- connected graph with c
    vertices, 2c - 5 edges, and no vertex of odd degree (think about the problem and
    see why this follows).&quot;

I don't see why 'no vertex of odd degree' follows, since it isn't necessary for 2c - 4: the
    sequence of conversations (A,E),(A,D),(B,C),(C,D),(A,B),(B,E) is sufficient for 5 dons to
    communicate in 2*5 - 4 conversations, but it creates two odd vertices, namely A and B.

PS The above example shows that you can't even say that any two optimal graphs for a given
    c are isomorphic (is that the right word?) since my example of D(5) is not isomorphic to
    yours.
  15. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    09 Dec '02 20:48
    &quot;I think we're going round in circles here. This system is SUFFICIENT to get the
    dons to
    communicate the gossip in 2c - 4 conversations. I don't think you've shown that this
    particular system is NECESSARY for all c &gt;= 4. &quot;

i am aware. this is what i am having difficulty showing.

i expressed myself poorly about vertices of odd degree. i don't believe it can
    be done in such a way that an ODD NUMBER OF VERTICES are of odd degree. (which
    immediately implies that 2n-5 is impossible). however, i don't know exactly how
    to show this (in fairness, however, i was unaware that graph theory existed
    until four days ago, when this problem prompted me to read a book on the subject.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree