1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 00:37
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I mean I view the definition of a prime as:
    "All numbers 4 or less and any number greater than 4 which has only 1 and itself as factors."
    Why not? This is about as logical as what the 'professional mathematicians' have done.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 00:37
    Originally posted by dmnelson84
    You wish.
    Cya next thread.
  3. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 00:51
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Cya next thread.
    I rarely post in the same threads as you. You're just bitter about your incorrect answer. A real man can admit when he's wrong.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 01:02

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 01:19
    Why not? This is about as logical as what the 'professional mathematicians' have done.
    At this point you must be trolling. There is no way you can actually believe what you are saying.
    Go back to the 1890s if you want 1 to be a prime.
  6. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 04:17
    Matters of definition are always Ad Populum if you want to use that logic.

Why isn't 4 a prime number? I mean I view the definition of a prime as:
    "All numbers 4 or less and any number greater than 4 which has only 1 and itself as factors."

And if you argue with me you are just appealing to the popular definition of a prime number!
    Are you calling yourself popular again!?!?!
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 06:30
    Originally posted by dmnelson84
    I rarely post in the same threads as you. You're just bitter about your incorrect answer. A real man can admit when he's wrong.
    C'mon, don't give up so easily! Just a few posts ago, you had me pegged, remember?
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 06:34
    At this point you must be trolling. There is no way you can actually believe what you are saying.
    Go back to the 1890s if you want 1 to be a prime.
    Oh, come off it! Your own sources indicate that it is a matter of definition and convention. 🙄

Here's a counter proposal. Amend the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic:
    "All natural numbers are either a prime number, or can be written as a unique product of prime numbers (excluding 1 as a factor)." Since the FToA must have a special exception for the number 1 anyway, this is better than than denying 1 its proper status as a prime.
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 07:27
    Oh, come off it! Your own sources indicate that it is a matter of definition and convention. 🙄

Here's a counter proposal. Amend the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic:
    "All natural numbers are either a prime number, or can be written as a unique product of prime numbers (excluding 1 as a factor)." Since the FToA must have a special exception for the number 1 anyway, this is better than than denying 1 its proper status as a prime.
    Perhaps it would be if the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmatic were the only theorem that relied on 1 not being a prime.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jan '07 17:151 edit
    Perhaps it would be if the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmatic were the only theorem that relied on 1 not being a prime.
    Perhaps those theorems should have been quoted in support of your argument, instead of FToA, which must have an exception for the number 1 either way (edit: which means I reject the idea that FToA 'relies' on 1 not being prime...)
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 03:47
    Perhaps those theorems should have been quoted in support of your argument, instead of FToA, which must have an exception for the number 1 either way (edit: which means I reject the idea that FToA 'relies' on 1 not being prime...)
    Well let's start with a classic, the zeta function.

The zeta function is defined for all real s as the infinite product of:
    1/(1-(1/p)^s)
    for all prime numbers p.
    So we have to add a provisio to not include 1 there.

And we can continue with the likes of Euler's Criterion (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EulersCriterion.html), Carmichael Condition (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CarmichaelCondition.html) and so on down the list of theorems involving primes. There are one or two that would be slightly simplfied (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SchnirelmannsTheorem.html could allow for all positive integers rather than all greater than 1) but those are a shorter list.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree