1. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    30 Apr '03 18:00
    Originally posted by Toe
    The host's information changes the apriori probabilities for the second choice: Had one picked door 3 initially, switching door would clearly have improved the odds of winning (from 0 to 1/2).
    I think that an implicit factor you are not considering is that the host can not reveal what is behind the door that was picked. (i.e., if door 3 were picked initially, the host would open either door 1 or door 2). I believe if you add this constraint into your random number generator you will see the benefit of switching to the door that the host could have opened, but didn't.
  2. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    30 Apr '03 18:091 edit
    a close examination of some of the replies shows that there has been an assumption regarding monty's additional info: the assumption is that monty will not tell you whether the door you origionaly chose is wrong. This is not gaurenteed by the format of the question, but if you do make this assumption, then the odds ARE in favour of switching.
  3. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    30 Apr '03 18:102 edits
    oh: richjohnson agreed with me faster than I can type!
  4. Joined
    04 Mar '03
    Moves
    01 May '03 00:05
    Although I can not prove it, I think that Monty's motivations come into play as well (specifically, if he wants me to win or lose)...which is not stated in the problem.

For example, it is not certain when I make my initial choice that he will reveal a wrong door and give me a switch opportunity. If I choose the right door and he wants me to win, he would end the game right there. Likewise if I choose the wrong door and he wants me to lose.

It's an easy fix though in the wording of the problem. Just add a sentence that states that Monty tells me in advance that he will eliminate one wrong door and offer the opportuity to switch.
  5. Standard memberlloydk
    Into the Breach!
    San Francisco
    Moves
    02 May '03 03:53
    Here's a good explanation of the solution (from Google it looks like there are a couple hundred others):
    http://www.io.com/~kmellis/monty.html

Here's a lot about "Let's Make Deal", Monty, and his modus operandi:
    http://www.curtalliaume.com/lmad.html

😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree