1. Standard memberlloydk
    Into the Breach!
    San Francisco
    Moves
    19 Apr '03 20:03
    You're on a tv game show with a $1 million prize. The prize is behind one of three doors.

You choose door #1.

The host says: ok, you've chosen door #1. Now I'm going to tell you the prize is NOT behind door #3! Would you like to stay with your choice, or switch to door #2?

What's your best choice?

2. Joined
    17 Apr '03
    Moves
    19 Apr '03 21:45
    stay w/ #1
  3. Joined
    12 Apr '03
    Moves
    19 Apr '03 23:23
    I agree, I have heard the answer before and you are correct
  4. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    19 Apr '03 23:51
    Originally posted by Weird Al
    stay w/ #1
    I'm assuming here that the numbers 1 and 3 are arbitrary (otherwise why would you ever choose 3?) and that probabilites are equal, in which case I disagree. You have a 1/3 chance of picking the correct door first time. Clearly if you switch, you lose. However there's a 2/3 chance that you've picked the wrong one. The host then eliminates the other wrong one, so if you switch, you're guaranteed to win.

In conclusion: if you stick, you have a 1/3 chance of winning. If you switch, you have a 2/3 chance of winning. I think this problem has been posted here before.
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    20 Apr '03 01:40
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    I'm assuming here that the numbers 1 and 3 are arbitrary (otherwise why would you ever choose 3?) and that probabilites are equal, in which case I disagree. You have a 1/3 chance of picking the correct door first time. Clearly if you switch, you lose. However there's a 2/3 chance that you've picked the wrong one. The host then eliminates the other wro ...[text shortened]... you switch, you have a 2/3 chance of winning. I think this problem has been posted here before.
    People always get this wrong. I use this example in my intro. class to show that we may not be as rational as we all take ourselves to be. Humans are notoriously poor preformers when it comes to probability. Although you should switch doors, people generally think "there's still just the two options available, so now my chances must be 50/50".
  6. Standard memberlloydk
    Into the Breach!
    San Francisco
    Moves
    20 Apr '03 01:41
    Acolyte is correct (it has something to do with Bayes's Theorem) - sorry if that was a repost!
  7. Joined
    12 Apr '03
    Moves
    20 Apr '03 14:34
    My friend has an IQ of 156 and says that you should stick
  8. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    20 Apr '03 17:13
    Originally posted by waldorf
    well-tell him the logic behind why he shouldn't then-and remeber-I.Q. tests mean very little-were they not first initiated to see if american soldiers were intelligent enough to fire guns?...😛
  9. Joined
    26 Mar '03
    Moves
    20 Apr '03 18:19
    Originally posted by genius
    well-tell him the logic behind why he shouldn't then-and remeber-I.Q. tests mean very little-were they not first initiated to see if american soldiers were intelligent enough to fire guns?...😛
    if your a genius u should no
  10. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    20 Apr '03 20:43
    Originally posted by King AYG
    if your a genius u should no
    genius infers inteligence, not knowledge
  11. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    21 Apr '03 01:351 edit
    Originally posted by waldorf
    Erm...a fool can say wise things and vice versa.
  12. Joined
    26 Mar '03
    Moves
    21 Apr '03 08:01
    Originally posted by genius
    genius infers inteligence, not knowledge
    intelegance is knowledge
  13. Standard memberpadfoot
    Discombobulating...
    cloning vat
    Moves
    21 Apr '03 14:10
    inteligence is not knowledge. i for instance am saying this because i know it to be true, but that does not make me inteligent in philosophical nonsense
    😏😏😏
  14. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    21 Apr '03 17:53
    Originally posted by King AYG
    intelegance is knowledge
    alrity-i have absolutely no knowledge of plumbing. none whatsoever. and yet i am inteligent. how can this be?!?
  15. Standard memberlloydk
    Into the Breach!
    San Francisco
    Moves
    21 Apr '03 21:54
    "Argument is argument. You cannot help paying regard to their arguments, if they are good. If it were testimony you might disregard it…Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a crossbow, which has equal force though shot by a child."

Intelligence is recognizing the accuracy of this statement.
    Knowledge is knowing who said it.

😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree